• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible ringworm? Or something ese

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately we can’t tell you. You will need to get the piggy checked by the vet. Your other was treated for mites, was it applied just the once?

Kate0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
She's had one lot of mites treatment, was due to go back this week, potentially for a second. I've taken her to the vets twice, both times I've asked specifically to check to see if it's ringworm, first wasn't sure so treated for a cut, second said ringworm was unlikely so treated for mites. The cut turned into a bald patch before the mites treatement, and the hair has since grown back.

It looked like the mites treatment had been effective, however, now two of my other pigs have scaly patches on ears, I'm wondering if it was ringworm after all. Would ringworm clear up on it's own/ xeno 50?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Xeno may temporarily suppress ringworm but it won’t cure it.
Ringworm spores can live in the environment for years so incredibly thorough cleaning (using F10) of the cage,
throwing away anything you can’t clean etc, thorough hygiene for yourself also including any clothes you use to deal with the piggies etc, so as to not cause a repeat outbreak, is needed

Kate0

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I just need the vet to diagnose them first though... this is my problem! If it is ringworm, then she's been shedding spores for a month now, despite me taking her to the vets immediately, asking specifically if it's ringworm and spending ££ on treatments. Can I just assume it is now the rest of the herd have it and buy the dip online?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t know whether you would be able to get veg grade meds online. Over the counter meds won’t be strong enough. And you don’t knodd as exactly what you’re dealing with.

Is it possible to get them to another vet?
Vet Locator

Bradshaw Piggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:agr:

Your guinea pigs do need to be seen by another piggy savvy vet. Not sure why they have said ringworm isn't common, as it actually is quite common in pigs that have reduced immune efficiency or are older or stressed.

The vet should take a culture to confirm ringworm/mites. You have already had some excellent advice above re disinfecting etc, but I would agree with the others that it is imperative the piggies are seen by another vet.