• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Possible URI

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kaoskat

Mordecai is ill. I have a vet appointment first thing Tuesday (the office is closed from now until then) that I made to have his teeth checked out because he started drooling alot. Now he looks like he may have a URI (eyes icky, nose icky, lethargic, not eating or drinking well) and I'm afraid 3 days is too long to wait and I could lose him. I still have the meds from when his sister had a URI not too long ago (Baytril) and I was wondering if I should startn him on them. I'd would rather him see the vet first but I don't want to lose him while waiting. I don't want to hurt him or anything either though. I really don't know what to do. Please help!

-kkat

I would start him on the Baytril, cos it really is a good antibitotic for piggies. If he is as bad as it sounds then start it love.
Love and hugs to you all

Thank you! I called a good piggy friend this morning and she advised the same thing so I started him right away. She said the baytril shouldn't hurt him even if he doesn't have a URI and may help with what he does have (if it's not a URI). I lost his sister to a URI which is why I have the meds left and I don't want to lose him too. I love him so much. I hope I have enough to last until the vet on Tuesday. I think I do.

-kkat

aww, no it wont hurt if he doesn't have it. Poor love.

Hoping it all goes well. Keep us posted lovey

Thank you. His nose isn't so icky today but he's still feeling terrible and he won't eat much of anything. I'm just getting ready to go mix up some critical care for him and force it down him. I forced some water down him this morning and a little bit of watered down orange juice (it's what I had on hand and I knew it had vitamin C and I know he needs that). All he's eaten so far today is half a cucumber slice and stupid me left my critical care here yesterday. He did eat a bit yesterday though. I'm still really worried.

-kkat

Poor piggy. Lets us know what hapens at the vets. Hope he's better soon

Hoping everything goes ok. Glad to hear his nose isn't so sticky. So good that you started him on the Baytril when you did.

Love and hugs to you both

x

Only from the vets. It's a prescription medication. They won't usually just give it you when you want though.

oh yes. sill me. jacques had baytril and metacom. I have metacom at home cos they gave me so much when both the pigs were ill. too early in the morning.

LOL. Icey had both the other week too. But not on Friday. My brave girl doesn't need pain relief.

I called first thing this morning and was able to take him to the vet first thing. He's not doing too good. I can't get him to eat still be I was force feeding him. The vet is going to keep him over night, check his teeth out (which is the reason I was taking him in the first place), give him fluids, and check his poos. If he doesn't start perking up, they are going to do some blood work. He said I did good giving him the Baytril and force feeding him and that it was the right thing to do. He's supposed to call in a while and let me know how he's doing. I MAY get to bring him home late today but he may have to stay over night. It depends on when he gets around to pooing and if everything looks ok and he starts improving soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he's going to be ok soon and I'm hoping I can bring him home tonight but if not I know he's in good hands.

-kkat

Oh no, so sorry to hear that Kat. Yes, you have done really great in getting some food and water down him, and also giving him the Baytril.

Thinking of you.

x

*glares at Mordecai* His digestive tract was in stasis because for SOME reason, in spite of the fact that he LIVES in hay, he hasn't had enough fiber in his diet! His teeth are fine and no infections or anything. He just hasn't been eating properly. Apparently he's been having a few too many veggies and isn't eating his hay like he should be. He just got home. The vet put him on Baytril and something to "keep everything moving". He said to give him lots of green leafy veggies, lots of hay, and force feed him his critical care or crushed-mixed-with-water pellets at least twice a day. I could ring his furry little neck! He nearly killed himself because he chose not to eat his hay. I am so glad he's home though. I was so worried and I missed him so much. He's still not wanted to eat much the vet said but that should change soon if I force enough fiber into him. I can tell he's still not feeling too good. Hopefully everything will be ok in a few days though.

-kkat

What a little pain! Too much of the good stuff there! LOL

So glad they found out what was wrong with him. Hoping he gets better real soon.

xx Kel xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back