• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Potential Dental Issue

That’s great news - I’m sure having company will really help him. Sending you all a BIG hug 🥰

Little’s abscess looks like it’s refilled with pus :(
705BCA81-9B63-4AEF-A71F-8FC72F6CDFDE.jpeg

We are going to ring and try to speak to Simon about it

Were you given a large syringe with a needle? Did Simon say to use a needle, or to put the syringe into the hole? Do you have any flat cotton wool pads? I would be looking at giving it a firm scub (I know that sounds horrible, but necessary) with a wet cotton wool pad. I've got a number of piggies in the vet this afternoon, but once I am home I can see if I can do a video of flushing an abscess. It's a bit awkward, as have no-one to film it, so will have to see how I get on with propping my phone up. I will try my best. In the meantime, give it a good clean with a flat cotton wool pad.

Were you given a large syringe with a needle? Did Simon say to use a needle, or to put the syringe into the hole? Do you have any flat cotton wool pads? I would be looking at giving it a firm scub (I know that sounds horrible, but necessary) with a wet cotton wool pad. I've got a number of piggies in the vet this afternoon, but once I am home I can see if I can do a video of flushing an abscess. It's a bit awkward, as have no-one to film it, so will have to see how I get on with propping my phone up. I will try my best. In the meantime, give it a good clean with a flat cotton wool pad.
He didn’t give us one, no. We have one as we got one from our local vet when Little had his last abscess in case we needed it. It was the receptionist who passed on Simons information to us and all she said was it needed ‘getting out’. It wasn’t specified how we should do that. We’ve been doing cleaning firmly with cotton pads since Friday, the day after his op, just to make sure anything that could be building up made its way out. It doesn’t seem to have worked though, when we noticed all the pus this morning, we were doing it even more firmly but nothing really budged.
If you could film one then that would be great, if you can’t manage to do it though don’t worry about it :)

Tried to do a video but with needing to hold a syringe, plus a guinea pig and a phone, it just wasn't possible. I've spoken to Simon and suggested that he does an abscess flushing video to put on the Cat and Rabbit Clinic Facebook page. He says he will try and sort one, when he gets back from holiday, which unfortunately isn't going to help you. Have you been able to get any pus out of it? It may be worth seeing if a local vet can help.

Tried to do a video but with needing to hold a syringe, plus a guinea pig and a phone, it just wasn't possible. I've spoken to Simon and suggested that he does an abscess flushing video to put on the Cat and Rabbit Clinic Facebook page. He says he will try and sort one, when he gets back from holiday, which unfortunately isn't going to help you. Have you been able to get any pus out of it? It may be worth seeing if a local vet can help.
Thank you for trying :)
We’ve been trying to flush it but haven’t had much luck. Little is currently at the local vets right now, hopefully they can sort it out for him!

Update:
My mum took Little to the local vet and she was able to sit in the waiting room whilst the vet had him but with the door open - if that makes sense. They had no idea what they were doing and had Little lying on his back. They looked and said they thought it was okay, they removed some crusts from around the wound, had a look at the stitches and then cleaned it but that was it. My mum was getting quite mad because of how they were holding him, Little was squealing a lot too. Overall it was a waste of time

Update:
My mum took Little to the local vet and she was able to sit in the waiting room whilst the vet had him but with the door open - if that makes sense. They had no idea what they were doing and had Little lying on his back. They looked and said they thought it was okay, they removed some crusts from around the wound, had a look at the stitches and then cleaned it but that was it. My mum was getting quite mad because of how they were holding him, Little was squealing a lot too. Overall it was a waste of time
Aw, so sorry, you are having a rotten time atm. Hope Little’s abscess improves x

Aw, so sorry, you are having a rotten time atm. Hope Little’s abscess improves x
Thank you, after we’d been flushing it, it wasn’t too bad but we thought vet could do better but it seems not. We put Little through unnecessary stress so that he could just be poked on his abscess with a cotton bud
Also, Little did a scared purr and the vet said “aww I love it when they make that noise”. Whilst I didn’t expect them to know much about guinea pigs, they really didn’t know anything!

I have been following this thread you are going through a stressful time. Is there anyone here on the forum who is nearer who could give you some advice.
I don't know if @piginthecity is still involved with the forum. But Barbara used to help out with guinea pigs for BARC and may have some useful tips for you.

Thank you, after we’d been flushing it, it wasn’t too bad but we thought vet could do better but it seems not. We put Little through unnecessary stress so that he could just be poked on his abscess with a cotton bud
Also, Little did a scared purr and the vet said “aww I love it when they make that noise”. Whilst I didn’t expect them to know much about guinea pigs, they really didn’t know anything!
Such a shame as you would expect abscesses are pretty standard fare for vets 🙄

I have been following this thread you are going through a stressful time. Is there anyone here on the forum who is nearer who could give you some advice.
I don't know if @piginthecity is still involved with the forum. But Barbara used to help out with guinea pigs for BARC and may have some useful tips for you.
Thank you for the advice :) We’re just going to flush Little’s abscess ourselves a few times a day and hope we can get any pus out. Once it heals, he’ll either be okay or he’ll need to go back to Simon. If Simon lived closer we’d have very little stress on our hands! But it seems all we can do right now is to try and flush the abscess ourselves and see what happens at this point. By the time Simon will have come back from his holiday, we should know what’s what

Hoping everything goes well. I have a guinea pig who has dental issues. He's been to vets 3 times during lockdown. At present (touch wood) he is fine.

Hoping everything goes well. I have a guinea pig who has dental issues. He's been to vets 3 times during lockdown. At present (touch wood) he is fine.
Fingers crossed he stays doing alright! Dental piggies don’t half make us worry, both my boys have dental issues. You notice one thing a bit off with their eating habits and start to panic, even if it’s nothing!

Back