• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Potential new owner with hutch questions

Andy_R

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Due to circumstances changing, my family and I have decided that we would like to get some Guinea pigs in a couple of months once the weather improves, so we are in the research and planning stage (lots of reading guides off this site). As my two daughters are rather loud and high spirited (jumping\bouncing\dancing around a lot) in a good way and due to the layout of our house there isn’t really space to keep 2/3 guinea pigs inside. The couple of possible spots are next to radiators, which are a no go. As such they will be housed outside.

I’ve been looking online and we are considering a 5 or 6ft (depending on space) double hutch (with covers etc), then attaching some Omlet Zippi tunnels off the side which would be attached to a run on the grass, to allow constant access to the lawn (when weather allows).

I’m looking for some answers\opinions on:

• If anyone who has this type of hutch could you tell me what the slope angle is of the ramp? As from looking at online pictures they seem (to my eye) a bit steep and also don’t appear to have sides? Therefore Might need some modifications\improvements
  • Do your piggies use the ramp a lot to access the lower level? As if not, would it be better to consider a single level hutch? Or is it very piggie dependant and until you have them you won’t really know
Thanks in advance

My hutch doesn’t have a ramp as I have separate pairs upstairs and downstairs. But you’re better off assuming that they’re not good with ramps. As you said you won’t know until you try them. One way to make it less steep is to put something under the end to raise it a little. Also adding a tunnel to the ramp or some sides can make them feel safer. But if they don’t want to use it you wouldn’t have a choice really.

What I will say is that you can’t house them outside until it’s warm enough at night - around April time. The majority of rescues won’t let you adopt at this time if your plan is to put them outside. I would also get in touch with rescues first before you buy housing. Some of them have their own requirements so you wouldn’t want to jump the gun so to speak.

I don’t know that it would be a good idea to give them constant access to grass either. Even when the weather is good. They also need to get used to grass before they can spend hours on it.

Have a read of the guides in the link below and also look at the rescue locator. Don’t discount those that are further away.

New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information
Rescue Locator
Vet Locator

As ground roaming creatures, Guinea Pigs aren't natural climbers, so having a two storey hutch isn't important anyway. The upstairs part of the hutch doesn't count towards the cage size in any event so you need to make sure the hutch is big enough on the single level for your piggies. I note you say 2/3 Guinea Pigs - boars need to be kept in pairs only so if you want three piggies you will have to have three sows or two sows and a neutered boar.
Two sows need a 5ft hutch
Three sows/or two sows and neutered boar - need a 6ft hutch
Two boars need a 6ft hutch

My previous hutch had a ramp in it. My two boys manage ramps absolutely fine but not all piggies will and putting sides on and decreasing the gradient is important.

The tunnels are a great idea, they seem to work well for those who have them. Dont forget though that they cannot have constant access - they should only have access to the lawn run when you are there to supervise them and they must not have access to it overnight.

The major consideration is keeping them warm in winter if you aren't able to bring them indoors. Piggies aren't hardy and need to be kept above 15 degrees at all times. My two boys live in a hutch in my shed and even with the protection the shed brings its hard work, doable but hardwork. You will need thermal covers as well as waterproof ones and snuggle safe heat pads. Oh and be prepared for getting through kilos of hay stuffing their hutch full!

To clarify, the access to the tunnel and run would be closed whilst no-one is around.

Ramps, if we go down that route i suspect i'll have to change, but that's not really an issue

Noted about hutch size dependant on sex; ideally we want a 6ft hutch just a case of measuring the space we have

Around two storey hutches then: if the top floor doesn't count towards the required size, then why is it that all manufacturer's seem to put the dark, supposed sleeping area on the upper storey? Surely that means that these hutches are not of the correct required size.

If we commit to getting the piggies, then all required covers, hidey holes, heat pads hay will be bought to ensure that any animals have the best that we can give them

Perhaps saying it doesn’t double the hutch size makes it clearer. A 6ft hutch is still a 6ft hutch and therefore the right size whether it is over one or two levels, it’s just that any level which is accessed via a ramp is not included in the space - 6ft x 2ft hutch is 12 sq ft, but being double storey doesn’t make it 24 sq ft, it’s still 12 sq ft of living space (Which is the required space for two boars or three sows). Where the ‘sleeping area’ is positioned is irrelevant to cage size.

Thats just the way hutches are made but to be honest piggies will sleep anywhere and they won’t necessarily take themselves off to the ’sleeping area‘ to sleep, they will go to the nearest comfortable and favourite hide. In two of my three hutches, I have removed the dividing wall to create an open uninterrupted space and hides are positioned throughout the whole space, which is much more conducive to zoomies! It also helps as there are no longer any single entrances anywhere.

The other thing to consider with double storey hutches is the hole in the top floor left by the ramp opening. When I had double storey hutches (I don’t now - ramps have been blocked off so they are now a one up, one down separate hutches) the hole left for the ramp opening is huge in some hutches and therefore poses a real risk of a piggy falling down, so the hole was made smaller and then a banister put up around the hole for safety

Last edited:
Thanks. When explained like that it makes a lot more sense and is the sort of thing that needs to be clearer elsewhere

As a follow-up I've done some measuring and there is space for something at least 6ft long. However when measuring I came up with another thought and wanted clarification on it:
when people say single level that means unbroken space as in if you connected two 4ft hutches with via a short tunnel, that wouldn't count, you'd have to physically joined together the two hucthes

Connecting two hutches would count as long as they have free access all the time. It would of course be better if there was uninterrupted access. Perhaps cutting a door in the adjoining walls and making the access across bigger so piggies can’t be forced to stay one end or they can only get through one at a time.

The important thing is to have the minimum space accessible on one level, if that makes sense?

A tunnel is fine as it is still on one level its not the same as an area they have to access by ramp which does not count as piggies aren’t climbers.
As siikibam has said though, a tunnel might be an issue if one piggy is trying to go through each end at the same time. it would definitely be better to fully join two hutches together.

It’s lovely you’re able to give them more than 6ft though! There is a company called Ryedale Hutches which custom make hutches and would be able to make you a hutch to fit your space, bigger than the commercial sizes you can buy. They aren’t cheap though.

Back