• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pregnant dog (sorry off topic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Slightly off topic I know, and I apologise for this, but........ has any body ever had a dog that's had pups? basically does anyone have experience of what a pregnant dog looks like?

If Iposted a pic could someone give me an opinion? :-\

I have a really good dog book at home so I could take a look in it if you give me more details. Has she been mated?

Regards Mary

Well we rehomed them (privately) 2 weeks ago, neither has been neutered, the chap kept them apart with a stair gate :o

He said she'd not long had a season, when I asked for more specific than not long he said "not sure but certainly no longer than 2 months"

But in 2 weeks she has got rather bigger in the tummy dept, and her nipples have got lots bigger ::)

Am off to photobucket now to upload pics.

DSCF0168.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0171.jpg

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

Hi, Dogs are pregnant for round about 63 days, and if he kept them apart from a child saftey gate, the chances are they might have mated. Child gates are not that high and a male will do anything to get to a bitch in season! Some one could open it, like a child. If you think she has gained weight in the last couple of weeks then get her along to your vets. It should only cost you a consultation fee. Might not beable to tell you how many if she is near to deliver them. She will need more food and this should be puppy food. Hope this helps.

mary

Hi slighty off topic.
Is that a staffordshire bull terrrier? I noticed a guinea pig in the last picture? Is your dog ok with your guinea pigs, because I have a staffie, she is still a pup, and she is ok with them, she licks them but sometimes she nips them. I was wondering how did you train your dog to not be rough with them?

Hi,

I have had a lot of involvement with dog rscue in the past and your dog does look suspiciously pregnant, though I may be wrong. If I were in your position, I'd make an appointmet at the vet asap and if the dog isn't too far along in her pregnancy have her spayed immediately. If her pregnancy is advanced she will have to have her puppies though :(

This might sound harsh but there is a huge problem with the number of Staffie/Staffie cross dogs/puppies in rescue, the pounds and rescue kennels are full of them and this type of dog is put to sleep every day because there are not enough homes.

Here is the address of a good dog forum where you will be able to post for advice, there are lot's of good rescues on there who will I am sure try and help you :)

www.dogpages.org

Barbara

What a shame you have been put in this position, if the dogs had been neutered by their previous owner...Why won't people learn >:(

Barbara

I've got no real experience of dogs, but my dad's mate used to breed boxers and he said he could tell they were pregnent by the enlarged nipples :)

What's you gonna do if she's preggers?

Well if its not too late for neutering, and they can terminate the pregnancy then I will go for that option. And if anyone thinks that's evil as I got told today then i'm sorry, but for me that will be the best thing. :-\

Bev,
Don't cut your self up about this. I work at a vets and I can see where you are coming from. You do what you think is best for her and your family. You are doing your best as you took her on not knowing about this. Put the blame on all the other people that have put there dogs in rescues not your self.

Mary

bev said:
Well if its not too late for neutering, and they can terminate the pregnancy then I will go for that option. And if anyone thinks that's evil as I got told today then i'm sorry, but for me that will be the best thing. :-\

Believe me Bev, it will not only be the right thing for you, but also your girl and the puppies.

Hopefully you will be in time to spay, but if not, do join "Dogpages" as you will find people there who will help you in any way possible. Visiting this site, you will soon see the very sad plight of unwanted Staff and Staff type dogs, it's heartbreaking :'(

I don't mean to be rude, but if you are in receipt of certain benefits, the Dogs Trust can help with the cost of spaying. Contact them direct or your vet surgery should have details.

It's a sad fact that there are just too many animals and not enough homes.

Hope all goes well and take care,
Barbara

Thank you Barbara and Mary :)

I am registered on Dogpages already, on the advice of member Staffielass (starshines mum) when I was looking for a staffie to rehome instead of getting a pup. Looking back their previous owner was very eager for them to go, maybe this was why.

He had had the advert out for 3 weeks when I contacted him so she may be 5 - 7 weeks gone already. I don't know what i'll do if it can't be terminated, I'm not ready to be a granny!..... sorry if I don't try and see a funny side I think i'll just cry :'(

I know that we can spay cats at a very late date but not too sure about dogs

Bev darling, please don't worry too much. The worst that will happen is that she will have some adorable little pups and you will have to rehome them. Don't feel guilty about terminating the pregnancy either we had to do that when Willow got Gemma pregnant when she was just 5 months old. A termination would be best for you, Millie and (potentially) several unwanted pups.
Even if Millie does go full term its not so bad. My mums dogs had 5 pups because we turned our backs for 11 seconds and it was one of the best experiences of our lives. We found loving homes for all the pups (well we kept 2).
First things first though, get a vet to look at her. You could be doing all this worrying for nothing. :-* :-*

bev said:

It sounds ideal lovey and for the best. :-* :-* :-*

Thank you all :) :-* I thought I was going to get the same reaction as I did at Arun's footie practice yesterday when I said that's what I would do..... "that's evil" "you can't do that" "it's not fair she doesn't have a say" oh and the best one " you can't do that, think of how much money you could make. :(

To which I replied that I would prefer to give them away to people who I knew, or who I knew would look after them and love them..... and beside that it will cost money to have them all vetted wormed flead etc etc, it's attitudes like that, that made me want to rehome a dog rather than get a pup in the first place, round here staff pups are ten a penny.

But rather than that I drove a 400 mile 8 hr round trip to get my new babies... ok rant over, thank you for listening :) :-*

I know what you mean Bev. My mum got that thing about the money when Lady got pregant. They were pure bred yorkies decesnded from a crufts best of show winner. But she gave them away to loving homes with the promise that if they didn't want them anymore they should bring them back. One puppy did come back and I took her to live with me. But the others were very much loved.
I think you're doing the right thing and so does most people here and we all know about and love animals so we know what we're talking about :-*

Thank you, :) Yes that's true Deb you all look at it the same way as me, I am going to try and get her seen tomorrow as I think time is at a premium, i'm hoping it's a phantom pregnancy.

In my garden there is a double mattresss propped up against the fence awaiting a trip to the dump, she keeps going and hiding behind it, is she nesting? i've been manically reading up on every website I can find,,, I have no idea how to be a puppy mummy or that should be nanny.

And i've maybe got 2 weeks to find out and build her a nesting box and get the towels and boiling water ready so to speak :-\

She even might be having a fanten pregnancy. Just remember that all the rescue gps out there and there is even more dogs at rescue centres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back