• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pregnant fish :s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
i have cold water fish, i think two of my guppies are pregnant, their tummy's are bulging, what sould i do? should i go and buy a small tank to put them in then when they la the eggs take the mothers out so they dont eat them? :{

if you have a male guppy in with the females then yes they are more than likely going to drop fry. i wouldnt do anything with them personally, they breed like rabbits and if you put in a load of live plants like pond weed or java moss, a lot of the babies will make it to adulthood :) moving fish about stresses them, and if you do this with fry chances are they will die. if you do move the fry to another tank, make sure it is cycled before putting them in, use some of the filter media from your other tank to speed up the cycle process.

thanks for the help, if i just leave them wont the other fish just eat them? as i have one bigger fish and 2 sucker fish, then 3 guppies

what types of fish? how big is the tank? are there any live plants in there or bushy fake plants? :)

sucker fish I'm guessing you mean a pleco, though they are tropical fish. what type of fish is the bigger fish?

what types of fish? how big is the tank? are there any live plants in there or bushy fake plants? :)

sucker fish I'm guessing you mean a pleco, though they are tropical fish. what type of fish is the bigger fish?

:)) i didnt really give much information, yes sorry its a coldwater tank, it is around 35 litres. I am not actually sure on the breeds but the one that is pregnant is silver with a red tail and a red stripe running through it, i think it may be a BloodFin Tetra. The big fish I am also not sure of but i will try to find that out. Yes i have never really known the name of the sucker fish so i always called them that :))

and i only have one live plant and a fake plant, if i was to go and buy a new tank i will buy some more live plants for them

can you post a pic for us? guppies, tetras and plecs are all tropical fish and should have warm water.

can you post a pic for us? guppies, tetras and plecs are all tropical fish and should have warm water.

oh i dont have guppies i thought they were because they remined me of them, then i realised they are tropical fish. My fish are difinetly cold water because at the pet shop the have one side of the fish with tropical and one side with coldwater. i will try to post some pics though

sorry these photos are not very good, the fish stay still then as soon as i am about to take the pic they move :))

these are the fish that are pregnant
guineapigsandfish029.jpg

at the bottom of the tank you can see the sucker fish
guineapigsandfish031.jpg

And here is the big fish
guineapigsandfish024.jpg

Just found the slip that you get when you buy the fish, the pregnant ones are minnows

The sucker fish looks like an Ottocinclus - like a small pleco :)
The "big fish" actually looks like a platy, and as for the other fish it looks a bit like a mountain minnow? Though I'm not too sure.
Otto's and Platy's should be in warm water - about 24-26 degrees, they are tropical fish :)
As for the pregnanc, platys get pregnant easily but as you only have one it shoulsn't be a problem. The little one that I think is a minnow, I don't think they are as easy to breed so probably isn't pregnant - my tetras just have big tummies :)

Just read up about them, its very hard to breed them but i am going to give it a go :)

Good luck :) Just ensure the water is exactly correct - minnows can live in cold water but platys and ottocinclus' should really be in warmer water. If you want to give fish breeding a go, I'd reccommend platys...mine had around 200 babies without me even intending it to happen....!

white cloud mountain minnows, may spawn in aquariums but they are usually bigger tanks. they are fine in cool or warm water. they are egg scatterers and the male will fertilize the eggs as they fall from the female. its doubtful they will be pregnant, but just so you know males are slim built and females have a nice round shape to their tummy.

i cant quite tell what the little sucker fish is, it does look similar to an otto, which need to be in warm tanks with other ottos, they shouldnt be kept alone really.

i would say the yellow one is a female swordtail, it doesnt look quite right for a platy for some reason but cant put my finger on why, though swords, mollies and platys are all very similar apart from adult size. hopefully its a platy so it should remain quite small in comparison to swords or mollies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back