Preparing for a new baby pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
On the 3rd February I will, if Sparky likes him getting a new piggy he will be just under by a couple of days 6 weeks old. I know that Sparky will make a great foster daddy but is there anything I can do/need to do to make the little guy more settled and comfy when he arrives.

Also how much food do I need to give such a tiny little one?

In addition would it be advisable to buy new tunnels and toys for their cage as I don't know if the scent on them will cause problems.

I have, had little ones before but not for several years hence why I am asking these questions.

Thank you

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My boys were 6 weeks when I got them I gave them unlimited pellets & actually not much less veg than they get now still a cupful ish twice a day. I didn't have any problems... Not sure about toys but I'd imagine it's probably best to buy new ones in case sparky feels put out?

nutmeg

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would take out all of Sparkey's toys. Anything plastic can be cleaned, but anything wooden, card etc., that has absorbed smells I would get rid of so he can't become territorial about them. I would also completely clean out, and re arrange the furniture in the cage, so Sparky doesn't so easily recognise it as 'his' home. Then put the little fella first, closely followed by Sparky. I am sure they will be great, lots of the usual bum sniffing, wigglys and humping. They are both such lovely pigs, hope they have a great friendship. xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
You can put in one tunnel that Sparky can't get into for the little one, but preferable nothing with only one exit. Try to "neutralise" and rearrange the home as much as you can - including wiping the walls!

The youngster will need more pellets while he is doing most of growing in the first 6-9 months of his life.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.