• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Primose Has A Cloudy Eye

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallKaren

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Afternoon...
I went to put the trio out into their run around pen this lunchtime and noticed that Primrose's left eye didn't look quite right.
From reading Guinea Pig Lynx it could be a cataract which doesn't require an emergency vet trip. The eye appears to be a little bit swollen compared to the right. The area around the iris also looks veiny.
She's around her normal weight of 1kg and is happily eating hay.
in two minds what to do, emergency vet or wait until tomorrow?

Right eye

Left eye

the cloudiness of the eye looks like a hay poke or similar to me, i would suggest you seek veterinary attention as soon as you can, eyes are very fragile & it doesn't take long for things to go wrong & spiral out of control.

She may have a foreign body in her eye or between the eye & eyelid, i had this problem with one of my girls back along, i couldn't see anything at first & neither could the vet. it turned out to be the fluffy bit of a grass seed had got under her eyelid & it was scratching the eyeball ulcerating it.
i was given some eyedrops & fortunately it didn't take long to heal up, when used & the seed was removed.

She also had some painkiller for a few days. i know what its like to get an eyelash in my eye or sand or something & it hurts like heck!

they always pick weekends & bank holidays don't they?!?!
maybe a little bathe with some cooled boiled water with a pinch of salt in it for tonight will help, but definitely go to the vets tomorrow. don't leave it any longer than that.

healing vibes & a speedy recovery to (a very pretty) Primrose

Good luck from the girls & i. xx

Thank you. Will ring the vet first thing in the morning.
I swear they have a calendar and decide to be poorly when vets are closed.

Lol know what you mean. They have the ability to pick Sundays, high days &holidays!

Let us know how she gets on :)
Good luck at the vets
Xx

Good that you have had her seen promptly; it was looking a bit too red for my liking. I hope that she recovers quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back