• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Princess's nail

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

princessguinea

This morning i woke up and noticed one of Princess's nails was really dark. I checked her out and all her other nails were fine. i pressed it and moved it a bit and it doesn't seem to bother her. but instead of it growing downward and curling, its growing a wee bit upward. i think she may have hurt her nail, it bled a bit and then the blood dried up. what do you guys think? does anyone have a suggestion as to a soap or antiseptic i can put on it? should i cut it down or file it?

Have no idea! Sorry.. maybe she caught her nail and its bled inside? If it doesn't cause her any pain then maybe its fine how it is?
Hoping others can shed more light? I'll have a look in my books for you.

xx Kelly xx

sorry love, I've been out all day! I promise to have a look in a while and post what I find tomorrow when I've got more time.. I haven't forgotten :)

I haven't been able to find anything lovey! Perhaps she banged her nail and it's got a bit of blood inside? Don't know what to say lovey.. Keep an eye on it?
Maybe it's not important or much of a bother?

xx Kelly xx

Guinea pigs have nails that move inside the bed (all this i heard from my vet) and sometimes if they run on floorboards or are trying to climb the cages they can pull them out of the bed a little which can bruise them or break them this happened to rudi and they just told me not to put him on the floorboards because there nails get caught. and let him run again after a week this may not be what happend to Princess but its all the info i have at the moment x

thanks girls, for oyur advice. actually this morning, i went to check her and the nail actually fell off. poor piggy is stubby now! all there is is a little black dot, which I'm guessing is dried blood. do you think i should clean it? with what? maybe i should just leave it alone?

If it looks dry and clean I would just leave it. If you are worried just very gently bathe it in warm salt water.

You may find that the nail does not grow back - 2 of my foster pigs have clawless toes - doesn't bother them at all!

oh goodness! she might not have a nail? well its one less nail to worry about cutting, i guess!

LOL, depends on exactly how much of it has gone.. If it's almost all of the claw, then it most likely wont come back.

You know when us humans bang our thumb on a hammer and the nail goes black an drops off? Think thats a bit like Princess, but without the hammer!

lol, yea i guess. most of it is gone. i think she hurt it coz her greedy self always jums on the bars when she hears me come in. she does it all the time! sometimes i have to give her a treat just so she can contain herself! greedy little critter! :D

i know! but i rather see her like that than as sick as she was before. i hope it doesnt happen again. i felt so bad for her last nite when she was weeking coz of the nail bothering her. but I'm glad it fell on its own.

Awww, that would've been terrible.. hugs to you and Princess..

Glad its off now and hopefully all better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back