• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Probably a stupid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigmad

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggie Rose is prone to UTI's (been xrayed for stones etc) and i've been advised to keep her bladder flushed, and my ? is can you give a guinea pig too much water? she has 20/25ml three times a day is that too much? I have Vedra's book here and she says to give 40ml a day, but i would have thought the more water you give the better the bladder is flushed out? as the title says I'm probably just being stupid rolleyes:))

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
so what if you are? It doesnt hurt to ask! And, i must be stoooopid too as i dont know! :))

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's a perfectly reasonable question. :)

I think silly amounts of water, for example 300ml + , may be going a bit far, BUT some healthy pigs have been known to drain a 250ml bottle in a day. Ok, it doesn't answer your question exactly, but at least it's an observation. :))

I'd stick with syringing the amounts you are giving now, they are brilliant, and let her help herself to more if she needs to.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my piggies sometimes drinks 150ml bottle of water in a day and he's fine :))

Pigmad

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:red thanks ladies :))

i have seen her drink from the bottle too which is good, i think i just worry about things too much rolleyes

Status
Not open for further replies.