Problem with my Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carrot_tit

Anyone got any suggestions. We currently have three dogs, Emily (who is nearly 20), Benji (who is 3) and Stumpy (who is about 2) At the end of October we had both dogs castrated (Emily was done years ago) but since then Benji's behaviour has become worse. As a terrier we expect him to bark but now it's gotten out of hand. He's barking at everything! Not only that but he has started to become agressive both to our other dog and me and my Mum. It doesn't seem to faze my father but me and mum are terrified!

Can anyone suggest anything? I'm at my wits end and also terrified he will bite me.

Reaction score
hes trying to become the dominant one alpha male, by being and showing your nervous of him hes getting the message he is boss dog, I would throw a bunch of keys onto a tray or hard floor when he starts barking and distract him, when my charlie started this years ago I actually grabbed him put my face in his and said I'm boss dog dont forget it, made my family laugh think charlie was a little bemused but he respected me from that day on, talk to him in a stern voice and say No loud and precise every time he trys it on, if he goes for the other two, again pull him away and shout at him no in his face, maybe spraying with a water spray might make him associate bad behaviour with getting wet,
we actually brought charlie an anti bark spray collar but he got wise and when he barked he ran next to max who always got a spray of lemon in his way, in the end max ended up boss dog out of the two of them( behind me,) max would stare Charlie down and he would back off and walk away, it would amaze me, when some one knocked at the door both would run for it and then max would give Charlie a look as if to say my job shut up, it worked every time, its all about dominance and can happen any time Charlie died in July and max is now 14 but it happened between the two brothers off and on since puppies but max was always alpha male lol

C

cavykind

[quotmichllmuffin ]
whn my charli start this yars ago I actually grabb him put my fac in his an sai I'm boss og ont forgt it, [/quot]

I [colorr]rally wouln't suggst that anyon os that with a og that is showing aggrssiv tnncis or has ominanc issus. You coul n up with a vry baly bittn an scarr fac an th og in big troubl :(
Plas on't vn consir oing anything lik this, it might hav work for michllmuffin, an thankfully sh wasn't hurt, but it's a angrous thing to o an not in lin with morn training mthos.

My avic is to call your vt an ask if thy can rcommn you to a goo og bhaviourist who can visit you, your family an og at hom an assss th situation. Try an o this soonr rathr than latr as it souns as though things ar gtting out of han or soon will b.
Goo luck an lt us know how you gt on. I rally o bliv that you n som profssional avic.

Th Dogpags forum has a goo training sction*, it might b worth posting thr, but o spak to your vt soon!

Barbara
*pm m if you want th arss :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I might add I did know Charlie and although he tried it on he would back down and I would use this method every time the issues with him were more to do with max anyway, I have had 3 wonderful dogs and neither of the 3 have ever bitten anyone think it is the way you bring them up, my sis in law always says its not the dog its his trainer, she actually did dog training while a vet nurse and has done wonders with dogs with all sorts of temprement problems showing them whos boss is a must.

Status
Not open for further replies.