• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pronounced Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello

I've just noticed that one of my pigmies seems to be breathing quite heavily. I've checked her colour and that looks ok, i've listened to see if shes mskkng any noise and its quite and she doesnt have any discharge, she's been eating and was ok yesterday - any ideas please?
Thanks

Xx

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum

Laboured breathing can be an indication of congestion in the lungs - chest infection, pnuemonia, also possible heart condition - the poor function of the heart is not clearling fluid effectively from the lungs.

A visit to a cavy savvy vet is needed to find out which - a diurectic can be given to help clear the fluid, antibiotics if it's infection, heart meds if heart function is poor.

All this is supposition from your brief description but I would be worried enough to seek vet attention if one of my pigs was in this situation.

HTH

Suzy

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=*_SnXj72iOw&feature=related

This is hooting and can be a symptom of a URI (upper respiratory tract infection). This is usually cleared up with a safe antibiotic (marbocyl seems to be fine with my Biscuit - he had a really bad reaction to engemycin so try to avaoid that). I think a trip to the vet will give you a better idea of what's going on.

best of luck

Stefan

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Hooting appears to be more indicative of a heart condition than URI.....albeit that frequent URI's are a common first indicator fo heart problems

Laboured breathing (if it is just the movement of the flanks you are noticing but there are no sounds - i.e no wheezes, hooting, crackling etc) could also mean your piggie is in pain - possible causes of pain can be kidney/bladder/urethral stones; dental problems; gut problems and more. However congestion in the airways needs to be investigated.

Best thing is to get her to the vet soonest for a full examination.

HTH
x

Reaction score
Many thanks for your replies. I took her to the vet yesterday and she has been diagnosed with heart failure. She was given a large dose of Lasix by injection while we were there and we were sent home with some to give her orally twice daily. She was much brighter within a few hours. The vet I saw didn't mention any other medication but I'm going to take her again in the next day or two for another check up and discuss other medications then. There is a more guinea pig savvy vet there but he wasn't on when I went so I'll make an appointment with him to see her when she has her check.
Does anyone know what heart medication it is - I've read they can use use Enacard but any further information you can give will be very gratefully received.
Although it's taken me a few days to respond, I did keep checking for replies so many thanks again to the posters.

Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.