• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Pros And Cons To Getting A Kitten!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChloeCee98

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So my boyfriends brothers cat had kittens about 4.5 weeks ago. I've been to see them almost every week now and have fallen in love! I've had kittens and cats in the past and I am more of a cat person than a dog person! My boyfriend finally gave up and said I could have one when they're ready to go to homes.

But yesterday he changed his mind and said he doesn't think it's good idea. Does anyone have a cat and piggies? Is it a lot of work? Do they know that the piggies are there?

I have said to my partner that I'd have strict rules for the kitten. It's not allowed in the living room unless we are there (new leather couches :yahoo:). It can't have access to the pigs room unless I am there to supervise, with my understanding the cat will have to be introduced to the pigs and made aware that they are there and not to hurt them. I also said while potty training the kitten that it will be sleeping in our room with puppy pads and it's cat litter in there with us. One thing I do now is look after my dad's dog when he's unable to have him at work...with a cat I wouldn't be able to do that for him anymore. It would make me sad but I think my dad would understand.

I already chose the kitten that I want, it's well behaved and the kitten that loves cuddles the most ❤ it fell asleep on me yesterday. It's a boy and I would get him neutered. I'm undecided on wether to make it a house cat or to let it go outside ? We live accross from a school and there's a road too. Its not to busy as it's an estate but I would hate for something to happen to him.

How much do vaccinations cost for a kitten in the uk? :help: I want to think about all the reasons for and against getting a kitten before I make my decision. This would be the last animal I get also as my house is turning into a farm lol x

image.jpg

IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

Oh how cute!

Firstly I wouldn't really suggest putting piggies near cats, I have a cat myself and although I've trained her not to go near them and she's normally pretty good, she still has her moments. She once put her paw into the cage to "play" with Tonks and I went berserk! I know a lot of people put them together but it's really not worth the risk to put a predator next to a prey animal that could easily be a staple diet for them in the wild.

As for cost and vaccinations, it isn't the cheapest thing in the world so I'd definitely get in contact with vets to get some prices. You can often do a pay monthly plan that's about £12 a month or something to cover vaccinations and worming and such.

As for general maintenance they're fairly easy, I recommend going for a grain free food as it's far better and healthier for them. My cat became so so ill and it turned out it was the wheat and grain in it. She was sick a lot and lost her fur :(

So it's worth doing a bit of research :D

I'll ring the vets that the piggys are at. See what prices they're like. Thankyou and your poor kitty :(

What food did you switch to? I will be getting insurance and the kitty micro chipped. I wouldn't ever put them together like that, id just make sure that cat knew they were there etc. The cats around dogs & fish ATM so they're used to other pets.

There is no way I'd let the cat into the pigs room if the cage doesn't have a secure lid and bars the cat can't fit its paws through. Even if it grows up with them there I just wouldn't trust that the cat's prey drive won't overrule any training etc. All it takes in a second.

Many vets have 'healthy pet clubs' where you pay monthly and get flea/worm/vacs included etc

I'll ring the vets that the piggys are at. See what prices they're like. Thankyou and your poor kitty :(

What food did you switch to? I will be getting insurance and the kitty micro chipped. I wouldn't ever put them together like that, id just make sure that cat knew they were there etc. The cats around dogs & fish ATM so they're used to other pets.

I've tried a few different ones but now I'm on one called Canagan. It's a bit more expensive than other foods but it lasts ages as she doesn't need to eat as much. I've had a 4kg bag since November and we're only half way through XD It's great 'cause it's grain free and high meat, I can't even believe the difference since she's been on it she's like a different cat :)

Good plan! Cats have gotta learn right? :)

I have 2 cats and have always owned other small pets. My cats are very, very good but I still wouldn't trust them for a second to be out with any piggies. I haven't got my piggies yet but I don't have any plans to let them meet the cats face to face.

I'm going to be using a lidded C&C cage. Without lids would be a nightmare. As I said, my cats are very good but they have always want to climb inside cages. Not to do any harm, but to sleep or hide! When I've had cages before, if I've been cleaning them out, I often turn round for a second, turn back and one of the cats is inside the cage, curled up! (The small furries were not in there). I have a cockatiel and a few fish tanks and my cats have never climbed on the tanks or bird cage. I think I am very lucky with my 2, they are well trained and know what is allowed and what is not.

My cats are both indoor house cats but they have still both been neutered which is something I would advise doing if you get a kitten. It can often be done free if Cats Protection are doing an offer or at a discounted rate at PDSA if you are in receipt of any benefits.

I also have 2 dogs who were adults when I got my cats. They all get on great. The dogs are terriers (Staffy and a Cairn) so not the calmest of breeds but they have never been a problem with the cats as kittens or now.

Hopefully that gives you a few things to think about. Sorry for the long ramble :nod:

Oh yes indoor or outdoor, hmm. Well my cats have always been outdoor cats but I do believe if you're worried you can have them as indoors but you've got to make the right environment for them :) Eg: wheatgrass tray, cat water fountain, lots of separate areas for feeding, litter etc and exercise with toys and they'd be very happy! Oh and cuddles. Definitely cuddles! :D

Personally I wouldn't get the kitten, as gorgeous as it is I would carry on being able to look after the dog.
Also as someone with experience of cats and leather sofas.....it does not matter how careful you are, those sofas are going to be marked by claws. The odd scratching tree moment here, the odd whoops I miscalculated that jump moment there. It's impossible to cover every single bit of them with blankets.

Instead I'd consider cat once your fathers elderly dog has passed away, your zoo population has gotten less (so more comfortable with regards to random vet bills) and the sofas are a bit worn and you and your partner are less bothered by the damage :xd:.

It's so easy to see an animal and fall in love with it. If I didn't control myself my house would be overrun with them! So I often think rationally about it and talk myself out of things by looking at the long term.

But if you are happy with trying to introduce it to the dog and not worried about arguments over who did what to the sofa then go for it.

I have had indoor cats and outdoor cats. Personally I find indoor cats to be much more snugly as you are a large feature in their enclosed worlds. If they have never been out then they do not know what they are missing, just be sure to keep the environment entertaining if you choose indoor...I often find a pair do better as indoor cats than a lone one as they are great company and playmates for each other.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I missed the bit about your leather sofas. We have various scratch posts all over the flat plus a huge scratch tree (6ft tall) and the cats use everyone but our female cat still claws anything leather/faux leather. Our computer chair (the back), a headboard, a laundry hamper are all things she has ruined. Our male likes to claw rugs/carpet.. they can be very destructive, even with plenty of proper things to scratch. You can try and tell them no but they will still do it when your back is turned or you are out the house :td:

The dog isn't my dog and he's 11 it's just the odd time that I look after him really and only so my dad can go biking or go on extra curricular activities with his work. I'm home most of the time now and my boyfriends Mam is only round the corner so when I'm not there or go on holiday (which is never lol) she would be able to help me out just as she does with the pigglingsss. The kitten wouldn't be in the living room unless with me and I suppose if it scratched the couch it would be my fault wouldn't it lol. I like the thought of an indoor cat as I'd hate for anything to happen to him. I've got 3 weeks to decide anyway. X

I'm not sure how you'll keep the cat out of the living room unless you're there (unless there is a door that shuts.) My experience is that cats kind of end up where they want to go. Whereas you can train a dog not to get up on furniture (though I've had dogs that did break the rules when they knew they wouldn't get caught!) I've never seen anyone have much luck in training cats not to go where they aren't supposed to go! I would also make sure to separate the pigs from the cat... cats are hunters by nature and have a natural desire to stalk and kill prey, and guinea pigs are potential prey. Heck, my friend's cat once killed a rabbit almost the same size as him in the back yard! He was a pretty docile cat too, I'm amazed he pulled it off! So a guinea pig, even a large one, is no match for a determined cat, so make sure they are separated when you're not there to intervene immediately. Personally, I would have an indoor cat... less risk of anything happening to the cat, less risk of contracting illnesses, parasites, fleas, ticks, etc., and eliminates the chance that your cat will two-time you with another family (I have been the 'other family' for at least two cats... they would swing by my house, hang out with me in the yard, maybe have a snack, do lots of purring and cuddling, and them presumably go back home and act all innocent with their 'real' family!)

Oh cats will do naughty things right in front of you. You can let them in the front room, while you are there and they will still dig their little claws in to stuff and do damage.

Example, my male cat will walk into the front room, meow at me (I'm sat on the sofa watching TV) then he will throw himself on the floor, do a huge stretch and sink his claws into the rug he's laying on, roll over a few times, rolling the rug with him, then he gets up, stretches again, claws in the rug again and then comes walking over to me purring :wub:

I'm not sure how you'll keep the cat out of the living room unless you're there (unless there is a door that shuts.) My experience is that cats kind of end up where they want to go. Whereas you can train a dog not to get up on furniture (though I've had dogs that did break the rules when they knew they wouldn't get caught!) I've never seen anyone have much luck in training cats not to go where they aren't supposed to go! I would also make sure to separate the pigs from the cat... cats are hunters by nature and have a natural desire to stalk and kill prey, and guinea pigs are potential prey. Heck, my friend's cat once killed a rabbit almost the same size as him in the back yard! He was a pretty docile cat too, I'm amazed he pulled it off! So a guinea pig, even a large one, is no match for a determined cat, so make sure they are separated when you're not there to intervene immediately. Personally, I would have an indoor cat... less risk of anything happening to the cat, less risk of contracting illnesses, parasites, fleas, ticks, etc., and eliminates the chance that your cat will two-time you with another family (I have been the 'other family' for at least two cats... they would swing by my house, hang out with me in the yard, maybe have a snack, do lots of purring and cuddling, and them presumably go back home and act all innocent with their 'real' family!)
Yes there will be a lock on the pigs door and the living room door shuts and I think he will be an indoor cat :) x

Oh cats will do naughty things right in front of you. You can let them in the front room, while you are there and they will still dig their little claws in to stuff and do damage.

Example, my male cat will walk into the front room, meow at me (I'm sat on the sofa watching TV) then he will throw himself on the floor, do a huge stretch and sink his claws into the rug he's laying on, roll over a few times, rolling the rug with him, then he gets up, stretches again, claws in the rug again and then comes walking over to me purring :wub:
Aww so cute! The rugs fine it's my £800 couch am worried about lol x

Got in my mams partners car from work yesterday and went to put my bag in the back of the car and was greeted by two little kittens in a cat box! We surprised my Mam with them last night put a blindfold on her and put them both in her arms! So now my mam has 3 cats lol. So even if I don't get my kitty I can still come to my mums and get my kitten fix lol x

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5399.JPG

IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

IMG_5404.JPG

Got in my mams partners car from work yesterday and went to put my bag in the back of the car and was greeted by two little kittens in a cat box! We surprised my Mam with them last night put a blindfold on her and put them both in her arms! So now my mam has 3 cats lol. So even if I don't get my kitty I can still come to my mums and get my kitten fix lol x

View attachment 64328

View attachment 64329

View attachment 64330

View attachment 64331

View attachment 64332

View attachment 64333

View attachment 64334

CUTENESS OVER LOAD! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back