• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Quarantine Cooking

I love avocado! We usually have it as kids. My mum would prepare avocado juice or sometimes just put the fruit in the bowl and eat it. We either put some condensed milk on it or just plain sugar. 😂 It wasn't all the hype like today though, for healthy stuff.

The funny thing is I used to eat it as a child. My mum used to mash it up and add salt? And we'd eat it spread on bread.

It's a variation of my standard fresh fruit topped cake, which I play around with occasionally depending on the season (rhubarb, nectarines, apricots, plums or apples - the latter two go nicely with ground hazelnuts and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon in the sponge or 1 teaspoons of cinnamon mixed with 30g of cater sugar for spinkling over the hot cake). Springle the fruit topping lightly with a bit of caster sugar before baking.
You can also use raspberries, blackberries or any other berries of your liking; but any berries are better mixed into the sponge since they will burst on the top during the baking.

Blueberry and almond sponge
100 caster sugar
100 butter softened
2 large or 3 medium eggs.
Mix together until smooth and lighter.

1-2 tbsp quark
1 lemon, zest & 1 tbsp juice
100-120g ground almonds
Lift under with a spatula until evenly mixed

100g plain (US: all-purpose) flour
1 tsp baking powder (US: baking soda with cream of tartar)
Lift under with a spatula until evenly mixed.

200-250g blueberries, lift under and then spread the mix evenly into a lined round tin.
Bake for 50-60 minutes at 180 C / 360 F and sprinkle with icing (confectioners) sugar or decorate to your own liking.

PS: I have used a 23 cm (9 in) diameter but you can use a 20 cm (8 in) round tin or a 7 in square tin for a deeper cake or even bake it in a loaf tin. Keep in mind that the berries may sink.
Tomorrow I'm going to try this recipe with gooseberries, as I've just picked 5lb+ from the 2 bushes in our veg garden. (And that was after picking over 8lb earlier in the week, making a crumble with some and giving the rest to friends!)
The blueberry version was really nice, it'll be interesting to see what it tastes like with a slightly tart fruit like gooseberries :drool::drool: (I hope!)

Tomorrow I'm going to try this recipe with gooseberries, as I've just picked 5lb+ from the 2 bushes in our veg garden. (And that was after picking over 8lb earlier in the week, making a crumble with some and giving the rest to friends!)
The blueberry version was really nice, it'll be interesting to see what it tastes like with a slightly tart fruit like gooseberries :drool::drool: (I hope!)

It should taste great - I top it with rhubarb if we can get hold if it (sadly not much this spring); it's one of my favourite versions.

It should taste great - I top it with rhubarb if we can get hold if it (sadly not much this spring); it's one of my favourite versions.
Gooseberries inside and rhubarb on top? That's a combo I've not come across before. As it happens, there is some rhubarb growing in our garden. I hadn't got around to picking it, and rather assumed it was too late to do so, but maybe I'll have another look at it tomorrow and give it a try ...

I finally made this on Saturday evening, accidentally forgot and left it in the oven too long, but it is fine despite my worst endeavours. Very good, my hubby likes the fruit combination, he being the arbiter of taste in our house where cakes are concerned of course ;):drool:
20200713_163603.jpg

I finally made this on Saturday evening, accidentally forgot and left it in the oven too long, but it is fine despite my worst endeavours. Very good, my hubby likes the fruit combination, he being the arbiter of taste in our house where cakes are concerned of course ;):drool:
View attachment 148058

Have it with some cream if it gets too dry. It happens to everybody sometime!
Glad that it tastes great nevertheless - berries always add moisture and ground almonds prevent a sponge from going dry as quickly if you overbake a little.

I guess we're not in quarantine or lockdown now, but I thought I'd mention this recipe cos it was so tasty. I found it on the interweb as I wanted a summery prawn dish, not the stew I do in winter. The flavours were yummy. Not sure if vegetarians eat prawns, could anything be substituted for prawn to the same effect?

Thai prawn, ginger & spring onion stir-fry

I confess I didn't follow the recipe exactly - I left out the chilli, and as I was doubling up for the 4 of us but my kids wouldn't eat all the veg (and younger one probably not much prawn), I didn't use the full quantity of some of the other ingredients. Next time I'll try to be more accurate and see how it tastes with more lime and ginger.

My husband isn’t quite sold on prawns so maybe this could work.

Pescatarians eat fish but not meat, but I find it’s easier to say I’m a vegetarian.
If I tell people I’m a Pescatarian they think I belong to some weird cult.

That recipe sounds delicious - that’s on my list of recipes to try now

Pescatarians eat fish but not meat, but I find it’s easier to say I’m a vegetarian.
If I tell people I’m a Pescatarian they think I belong to some weird cult.

That recipe sounds delicious - that’s on my list of recipes to try now
You mean you're not a member of a weird cult?! ;);)
A Pescetarian - member of that off shoot of Pastafarianism that reveres the fish as divine 🐟 (especially when beer-battered and fried in oil)

Back