Question For Cos Players On Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

karonus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am finally getting to go to my first Comic Con on Sunday (although I have been to many Gaming Cons and ran one for 7 years) and I shall be taking my camera. I wanted to know from cos players on the forum anything I should know about etiquette with regard to taking photos.

Steve

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Are you going to Birmingham ComicCon? I think just generally its polite to ask people if you can take their photo :) Most people are happy as they are pleased people think their costumes are good. I really like pirates and anyone in a Captain Jack costume has me bounding up to them excitedly asking if they will be in a photo with me. No one has ever said no yet (except my husband when one of the pirates got too kissy LOL)

karonus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes I will be at the NEC Sunday while Sue and Katy go next door to the sewing and hobbycraft show.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh lucky you! I would not know which one to go to - I would be standing in the NEC dithering over comics or craft!

karonus

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yeh last year I went with Sue and Katy and ended up carrying a new sewing machine all the way through the complex to the station. It wasnt a small one as well. Comics will be easier.

katanamoon

Photo Competition Winner
Reaction score
Awesome! I used to go to the Bristol ComiCon but I feel so out of my depth now as everything I used to read either stopped or became really inaccessible :(

Tagging @Julesie who may be able to advise on etiquette :) x

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Main ettiquate is make sure if the cosplayer looks like they are rushing something not to ask them. Chances are something has broke, they are trying to find someone or they need to get to an event.

Do not take photos of cosplayers without asking when they are busy doing something like eating, on the phone, that general type of stuff. I had a very rude person take a photo of me when I was crying on the phone trying to find a friend because I was having a panic attack at the time. I was not pleased.

The biggest 'rule' is just to go up to a cosplayer and ask for a photo. 90% will be more than happy to pose and extremely happy you want a picture of their hard work, some may say no and just to respect that, chances are as I mentioned above something may be off with their costume.

Feel free to jump in and take a photo of a cosplayer already posing for photos but make sure they haven't been standing there too long in that one pose otherwise they could be struggling. I've had it happen before when cosplaying South Park that we were stood in one spot for ten minutes as people kept swarming us for photos and we were trying to get something to eat as we hadn't yet eaten that day. If they have been there only a few minutes it should be fine. You can just ask them after the barrage of photos if they will then pose for you, and that way you get them at least looking in your direction too instead of awkward side shots.

This isn't a rule but its something also nice to do, give them the site you are going to post your pictures so they can then find them later. There's nothing more disappointing than having 100 photos taken and not seeing any of them after. :(

And the number 1 rule though I highly doubt anyone here would do it, no pantie shots or up close of clevage shots pretending to take a photo of the cosplayer.

Have fun! Conventions are very fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.