• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Question for Veggies / Vegans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just something on facebook that got me thinking..

Even though your a vegetarian or Vegan would you make your dog or cat have a meat-free diet?

Dogs can survive without meat whereas Cats could die without meat as it contains Taurine which is a vital amino acid to help them with their heart rhythm, immunity, vision etc and cats are one of few animals that cannot manufacture taurine and without it they could develop heart problem, immunity problems etc and even die.

I've known of some people who don't give their cats meat...

Just wanted to know your thoughts

I believe meat is essential for there diet, it's my choice not to eat meat. Were as my dog can't choose.

Although I do know Vegan and Veggies who feed there dogs a meat free diet.

Nopes, I don't deprive my dogs of their meats, though I'm a seafoods eater too, but I hardly take meats other than seafoods, since I think meats are really meh, but my dogs still get their kibbles (Orijen), canned foods, raw and cooked (All kept separately fed, don't worry!).

I even dehydrated treats for my dogs with a dehydrator with 100% meat :)

Dogs are fine with a meat free diet but again they haven't chosen to live like this but my concern is more if cats had a meat free diet and people weren't aware of the danger.

My dog actually refuses meet. We haven't trained him that way, he ust... preferes veggies. LOL

I would definitely feed a cat meat because of the taurine but dogs can be perfectly healthy on a vegan diet, and I know a few vegan dogs.

Speaking of that, my dogs beg me for vegetables whenever I prepare freshes for the pigs and bunnies every nights :(|)

I'm vegetarian - I don't eat any meat or "by-products of slaughter" - i.e. gelatine, animal fats etc. - but thats my choice... If i gave my dogs a choice i know what they'd choose...

Dogs are carnivores... as are cats...

I dont have dogs or cats and I am a meat eater but I would never change an animals diet because of my own beliefs. I would do what I felt was best for the animal and I wouldn't keep a dog on a veggie or vegan diet even if they can survive without meat. If an animal refuses to eat meat then thats its own choice and I wouldn't force it on them

i dont eat meat or any product off however if i had a dog or cat or any other pet that wanted meat i would give it to them the kids eat meat and so dose hubby when the kids get older if they say they dont want meat thats great however i would never want to impose my veiws or lifestyle on anybody else.

Cats are 'obligate' carnivores, that means they need meat in their diet. Dogs can eat a balanced vegetarian diet but most would prefer meat if offered!

I'm veggie & my dogs do eat meat. I don't think it's natural for them not to. If I had a cat, I would definitely not deprive them of meat as it's pretty much essential. When I got my first dog she had awful allergies and had to be on a strict vegetarian diet, she did okay but the food looked so boring. She's kind of grown out of them now though, strange :) x

I think its wrong to try and make a dog vegetarian, just look at their teeth, not designed for chewing grain, mine like raw meat and bones, less waste from the other end cos they can digest it better..:)

I'm a veggie, and I wouldn't think about making one of my animals forgo meat. Cats NEED it, and while dogs don't NEED it, they still should have it for optimum health.

I have considered the idea of a vegetarian diet for one of my cats, but that's only because I can't find a protein source that her bowels won't react badly to. I don't want to do it, though, because that's a LOT of work. But I have found a Taurine supplement at a health food store, so at least I know it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back