• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Questions about guinea pigs and everything lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

It has been a reaaally long time since I last had posted and during that time I was still unsure about buying guinea pigs... However I have decided now. I would love to have them and give them a loving home!

There are some things that I need to do first before I bring them home, firstly, I want to learn more about them to make sure I know what I am doing when they are here. Secondly, I would like to build my own C&C cage as the cages in pet shops seem quite small for them. Thirdly, I need to save up some money :))

I have some questions to ask and hopefully there will be some helpers around however I do not know whether I need to put these questions in a different thread? :)

First question: What breeds would you recommend? I know it’s all about personal choice but it would be nice to know what you guys like to give me an idea of what I might like. So far I love them all, but I want only two pigs lol I’m not very into the skinny pigs/ hairless pigs. Ooh, another thing, which ones are soft?

Second question: What do you use for bedding? I have read a few books that explain this but differently. Some say cover all of it with hay; others say blankets, newspaper and some others that I have forgotten.

Third question: Where to purchase? Now I’m not so keen on the pet stores near my house. Pets at home are a big no no and they’re the nearest ones that I know sell guinea pigs. I would prefer to buy from a breeder but I cannot find any in London. Does anyone know anyone in London who sells guinea pigs?
I thought about the rescue centres etc but I would prefer one from a breeder as I can be a bit more selective. Sounds horrible and I do love animals, but I haven’t decided yet. I might just go to a shelter and get two guineas in the end. Just need to think about it all carefully.

Fourth question: Where can you buy grids for C&C cages? I’m finding it quite hard at the moment and wondering if anyone else knows where to get them in London? I have had a look at the thread about c&c cages but I need around 50 grids lol I want to make quite a big cage.

Fifth question: How are they fed? I know they need timothy hay all the time, they also need fruits and veggies and calcium but how are they fed? For example, do you give calcium in water? Or with food? Do you give fruits in the morning and then veggies in the evening?

Thank you for all your help in advance, I really appreciate it and I hope that if I have said anything that is wrong then please do let me know.

Firstly, the breed is your choice. Personally i like cross breeds. No pure bred round here ;) haha. But thats because they are more unique. If you go to a rescue you will be aloud to meet at the piggies before choosing the right ones for you.

I can only go on personal experience for bedding. By far my favourite, is fleece, with matress protector underneath, and then pampers disposable baby changing mats. Doesnt need changing too often, and is lovely and warm and soft for the piggies.

Please please please dont go to a breeder! There are many rescues in the uk, you could choose from a HUGE variety of piggies. And you have the gaurantee they are propperly bonded, healthy, not pregnant, correctly sexed. You will be given sound advice and ofcourse the piggy will have rescue back up for the resst of its life (meaning you could always ask for help) Breeders dont provide this. At the end of the day they are the same as pet shops in that theyre in it to make money.

The best way to find grids is usually the internet. :)

The best thing to do is look in a food section, there is a thread called "guinea pig shopping list" that you will find very helpfull. :)
Fruit should be fed sparingly, so should calcuim (this comes in the form of calcuim rich veg) The main thing they need (other than hay, veg, and guinea pig pellets) Is vitamin C.. This is also best given in the form of vitamin C rich veg.

Hope that helped.

Thank you Connie! That was really helpful :)

I think I will go for rescue centre! I was looking at the rehoming section and I thought why can't I just have two of these? I just thought it would be easier with a pair that have already been tamed.

I have found some grids on the internet and it will cost me quite a bit lol Need to save a lot before I can get the guinea pigs.

Just going to go have a look at the guinea pig shopping list.

Thanks once again and I feel pretty good about going to a rescue. Do you think they will let me hold one even if I do not buy? I have never held one before and would like to before I go on to buy them :)

Thanks once again for your help!

Yes, I'm sure they will let you hold them. :) Thats what rescues are for.

Can i ask if you are sure your income will support a pair of piggies... Just they can be quite costly with vet treatment, and hay, and pellets and fresh veg and ofcourse equipment. (possibly bedding if you dont go down the fleece route, and even if you do the start up costs are high)

Yes hopefully it should be fine, I'm aware of vet bills! I have two budgies and just for a health check on one budgie is £50, any medicine or other checks like blood test is more on top of that.

I have enough for emergencies, couple of thousands for that but I do not want to touch it unless I need to. I want to save up for now for the guinea pigs and their home. When I mean save up, I mean not just for a week of food and things, but for a whole years worth hopefully :)

I won't be getting the piggies until next year, maybe spring if I'm lucky. I am supply teaching at the moment and that is getting me through, but I'd like to have something more reliable to start planning. All I'm doing now is gathering information about the guinea pigs so that I am ready for them when I can have them. If I'm not, then I won't have them no matter how much in love with them I am lol Never want the animals to suffer so don't worry, I will make sure I do my best :)p

Oh good, Sorry i didnt want to seem critical however I did want to make sure you were aware. Some people think they are just cheap pets. Unfortunatly, while they are great, theyre not cheap! :))

I could do with a field just to grow hay in!

How is it possible that something so small can eat so much :))

:)) LOL That's funny! It's the same with budgies, they eat and poop within minutes! They come on your shoulder and leave with a small present!

Connie, it's alright :) I'm glad you asked, it gives me the opportunity to look over things again. All animals deserve the best and we have to think hard before we buy it for our pleasure.

I'm glad you're thinking of rescues :)
I think you sound very responsible I wish everyone going into owning a pet thought it through as much as you.

I think Connie has covered most stuff but of course this is what a forum is for, advise, info etc etc so ask away if you think of anything else, we're all happy to help new owners out :)

I would advise checking out the various 'sticky' topics under each section, e.g the different cage set ups under housing, the home made/c & c one is particularly inspiring, the food ones that give a good overall of what is a good diet along with foods to avoid and also all the info in health and illness so you know about things that guinea pigs can be prone to (not always, not saying they are sickly but its good to be aware incase your savings are needed for unexpected treatment!)

Lastly, here is a link to the c & c grids I bought recently, this provided me with enough for 2 4 x 2 pens, one on top of the other, but they're closer to 5ft as the grids are large. Hope everything we've suggested has been helpful and do come back for more help if needed!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360368204697?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hi gogoguineas, thank you for your post :)

I also wish everyone thought loads about them before buying any pet. I thought and researched for a year before buying my budgies. They live at home and have the whole living room to themselves and can go inside their cage whenever they want. They're very spoilt birds! I also wish for my future guinea pigs to be spoilt and loved and have lots of freedom.

The sticky threads are really helpful and I'm taking my time in reading them. It is all very new to me and I tend to forget things, especially illnesses which is something I am quite afraid of. When I bought my budgies home, I would get frightened by the smallest of things like wet poops etc and immediately think oh they have upset tummies etc but it just because they had too much spinach lol I've had them for 3 years now and with experience I can tell when they're ill and when they are not.

I hope that when I get my guineas I will know exactly what to do when they're ill and what to look for. Guinea pigs and budgies may not be alike but because they are prey animals they hide their symptoms so it just means daily checks and a big watchful eye rolleyes

I'm so glad I have chosen rescues... I cannot believe how quickly I changed my mind even though I was totally set on breeders. LOL Thanks to Connie for the convincing! I have already seen a rescue in Epsom and perhaps sponser a guinea pig for year from there x>> Theres a little guy who cannot be homed as he has dental problems. I'm totally gone sponsor him!!

Thank you kat04kt! Your so sweet! :red

I have made an appointment on Sunday to see some guinea pigs and the shelter at Epsom said I can hold them too! So excited!

Hi there, ooh I should have put the date lol It's the 2nd of November that I can go see them, I had only emailed them yesterday and so did not get an appointment today. However, very very excited for next week.

:<> so excited! I've never held one before and they look so cute. My budgies don't like to be cuddled, they love kisses but no head scratching etc.

Oh no sorry, it's the 6th of November... Oh man... that's 2 weeks :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back