• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Questions from a new Owner :D

S.G.P.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Okay, so recently I got two guinea pigs who I believe are getting along with each other? I have a cage and a playpen for them that is big enough for the both of them, of course, its empty so I need to give them toys and blankets for them to hide in, right? I also need to make sure, when I see them together they typically nip each other in the body but it only happens like sometimes only once an hour and then sometimes not at all for 2 more hours. Is this aggression or is this normal for Sows (or is it females?) to do when they are introduced?

It's normal even for sows to have their days and times of nipping and other dominance issues. New bonding can take some time even; certainly more then a day or so. Mine didn't take long for bonding anytime a new one has been added or a change but they do still have their moods and days even now after being the best of friends (when one is in heat being the first likely culprit).

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You can put things like boxes with holes cut out as hides and a pile of hay for hiding in, while you getting more permanent solutions. Even paper bags are fun for piggies.
Mine also like small tent hides for afternoon naps :nod:

You could also take newspaper (make sure ink is soy based) or non-colored tissue paper, crumple it up, and put it in their enclosure. I did that with my piggies and they loved hiding and playing in it! Just keep in mind your piggies will probably poop and pee in it, and then you’ll have to compost or throw it away. This isn’t really a permanent solution unless you have a lot of newspaper or tissue paper. You might be able to do the same with towels, but they would fall down more easily.

Hi, so long as they are not drawing blood & showing out & out aggression things should be fine. Do you know whether they are sows & age difference.
Hi & Welcome to our friendly forum.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Can't add to the brill advice given above.

Welcome to the forum.
Good advice already given.
Hope you enjoy being part of this piggy family.
Please let’s see pics of your piggies.

Okay, so recently I got two guinea pigs who I believe are getting along with each other? I have a cage and a playpen for them that is big enough for the both of them, of course, its empty so I need to give them toys and blankets for them to hide in, right? I also need to make sure, when I see them together they typically nip each other in the body but it only happens like sometimes only once an hour and then sometimes not at all for 2 more hours. Is this aggression or is this normal for Sows (or is it females?) to do when they are introduced?

Hi! the behaviour you see is typical and very normal dominance behaviour as your girls establish a hierarchy in new surrounding.

Please always double-check the gender of any newly arrived guinea pigs. Sexing Guide

Please have a read through our New Owners guide collection. It contains guides on settling in and making friends with your guinea pigs (including a spot of piggy whispering), understanding behaviour and learning what is normal and what not. It also includes on safe and unsafe toys and cage accessories, diet, housing and care. You should find it very helpful as we are trying to address all the areas we get the most questions from new owners about!
You can access our guide collection via this link here: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back