• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

R.I.P Milođź’”

MiloAndJake

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey everyone i haven’t posted on here in a long time but i have just recently lost one of my piggies! To a reason that is unknown. Milo showed no signs of illness and i just woke up one morning last week and he had passed away. He left his brother Jake alone, Jake had a couple of lonely days where he wasn’t being his normal self so i decided to adopt him a new friend to prevent depression! I have adopted a 12 week old baby and have been bonding them for 2 days. However over night i have seperated them in to 2 cages next to each other incase of fights in the night and also the fact that Jake is fully grown and i don’t want him to crush my new baby with his mounting. However i wanna try keep them in the same cage now. Would this be possible after just 2 days or should I give it a bit longer? Its obvious Jake is the dominant one as no rumbling has came from baby hes just constantly wheeking and trying to follow Jake around. When i seperate them over night i am woke up to them biting the bars trying to get to each other so i think they’re definitely friends! They wheek like crazy when I seperate them. Just need some advice!

Attachments

• 67164AC8-C493-4D6B-9BE5-6E97684CF426.jpeg
    67164AC8-C493-4D6B-9BE5-6E97684CF426.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 8
So sorry you have lost little Milo
Sleep tight little man x

Please keep your new pair (Jake and baby) together and don’t keep splitting them up as they have to start the bonding process all over again. Try an introduce them on a day where you have no work or appointments so you can keep an eye on them. the baby will just want another piggie for comfort so please don’t separate unless there is a major fight where blood is drawn. Place the cage within earshot if you are worried about nighttime x Good luck!

I agree 100% with the above. I recently had an almost identical situation to you, lost one of my brother biggies & one left lonely so brought in a baby boy piggie. I put them in a neutral pen with a couple of hideys with holes at both sides as an escape route (didnt want baby getting trapped with no way out). They will sniff, hump, chase & rumblestrut but don't separate them once bonding has begun as you'll be going back to square one each time. Keep an eye on them so maybe start first thing when you have the whole day to watch them. As long as nobody is getting hurt, you should be ok. Watch your hands though if you need to separate, use a glove (you dont want to be bitten) and dont jump in at the slightest thing, tempting as it is you've got to let the process pan out naturally & give it time. The baby in my case was the humper but the older boy was having none of it! Lots of bonding articles on here so have a read & keep us posted! Good luck!

So sorry about Milo but good to see you providing for Jake’s need while you are still grieving.
I agree with @Bill & Ted about keeping them together to give the bond time to be worked out.
Don’t forget to look after yourself too as you grieve for Milo

I am grieving so badly but like more for Jake the fact he’s in the same cage but with another pig whos not milo everytime i go to see them i feel like Jake thinks i’m taking milo back to him its horrible!

I am grieving so badly but like more for Jake the fact he’s in the same cage but with another pig whos not milo everytime i go to see them i feel like Jake thinks i’m taking milo back to him its horrible!
We understand how you are feeling, it’s like a betrayal but you are doing the kindest thing by getting him a new companion x Milo would not want Jake to spend the rest of his life alone

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard mourning one piggy, getting another and dealing with the bonding (pig/pig and human/pig). Feelings are still raw at the moment.

Please don’t separate Jake and the baby. They need to work through any dominance issues. Babies are great at getting away from older piggies if needs be. Please refer to the bonding guides Behaviour, Bonding & Bereavement Guides and feel free to ask any questions.

Back