• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

rabbit owners...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was driving to my parents house this morning and spotted a small animal at the side of the road. I thought it was a baby bird so pulled over and was going to put it in the hedge row.
When I got closer I saw it was a bun with myxi, it was horrible it's poor eyes were a mess and it was just sat there not moving even when I got close to it.

It reminded me that my two are both due their boosters so I'll be booking them in next week.

Make sure that your rabbits are up to date please.

Oh god no, that's awful. Such a dreadful, dreadful disease :( My doe Sapphire is due her boosters (myxi and VHD) this month :)

Aw poor rabbit :( I hope it didn't suffer for too long.

Was there anything you could do? Would it just die there? I'm not familiar with rabbits or their illnesses. Just picturing it like that on the side of the road is very upsetting :(

I'll be honest with you, I turned my car round and run it over. As harsh as that sounds it can take 14 days for them to pass and it's not a nice way for them to go.
I rang my Dad and asked him if I should do it and he said it would be the kindest thing for it. Didn't stop me crying though 8...

Tex is due his myxi shot on Tuesday. That's worrying, you're not all that far from me geographically.

I know, it was just on the outskirts of Barton too. Myxi can be carried by flies and things can't it?

It's a slow painful death :( My vet will put to sleep for free if you take in am injured wild animal.

Worth knowing, I will check with my vet on Weds and if they do I'll keep a box & rubber gloves in my car just in case I come across another.

I'll be honest with you, I turned my car round and run it over. As harsh as that sounds it can take 14 days for them to pass and it's not a nice way for them to go.

I think that although it was hard for you that was actually your good deed of the day. :(

i'm pretty sure it can be carried by several different animals, cats and birds too i was once told, I think geographically it.s as good as everywhere, definitely not worth the risk, i've lost two rabbits to myxi, both the only times we couldn't get them vaccinated and i hardly ever see rabbits round here with it, we certainly don't get rabbits in our garden. Good advice to keep up to date with boosters, it really is a hideous disease

Oh, how horrible for you. I remember seeing one when I was younger at a wildlife park of all places, it was horrible, poor little bunny.

As hard as it was you did the right thing :(

Oh gosh, thats awful :( Last year my dog Tara ran upto this small creature and started pining and licking all its eyes and mouth, when i got closer i realised it was a bunny with myxi its eyes and nose.... gosh ive never seen anything like it.

I picked up the bunny and held it as it died in my arms and i buried it in the woods. i couldnt stop crying all the way to the vets though thankfully my dog was okay after licking the wild bun and the vet said the dog probs put the bunny in shock - it was just an awful sight to see :(

This is horribly upsetting. I was speaking about the family bun tonight, Buns scare me so I don't have much to do with her but when I read your thread I immediately asked if she was Vaccinated which she isn't or spayed.

My parents are going away on holiday soon provided I can get her in the carry box and to the Vet I'm going to see if I can get her spayed and Vaccinated in one go. She's 6 I hope she isn't to old.

I have been reading the Rabbit Welfare site, so that I can raise these points with my mum before it was she was to heavy but I'm fairly certain she has lost weight, and hopefully once done she will be less hormonal. I think I may have a lot of reading to do!

This is horribly upsetting. I was speaking about the family bun tonight, Buns scare me so I don't have much to do with her but when I read your thread I immediately asked if she was Vaccinated which she isn't or spayed.

My parents are going away on holiday soon provided I can get her in the carry box and to the Vet I'm going to see if I can get her spayed and Vaccinated in one go. She's 6 I hope she isn't to old.

I have been reading the Rabbit Welfare site, so that I can raise these points with my mum before it was she was to heavy but I'm fairly certain she has lost weight, and hopefully once done she will be less hormonal. I think I may have a lot of reading to do!

Six does sound a bit old for spaying but you can always see what the vet says, if it's a good rabbit-experience vet and says she's healthy enough then go for it, but be prepared to give her a lot of care afterwards, possibly syringe feeding round the clock for a few days, it's hard work. Well done for caring about her :)

Does anyone actually know for sure (preferably with evidence to back it up?) what insects can transmit myxo?

I just would really like to know, out of interest. I know in places like Australia that mosquitoes are a big carrier, but here what would be? Some people say biting insects, but that's not very clear, some people say midges but does anyone know if that's actually true?

I know rabbit fleas transmit it, but that would mean a wild rabbit would have to get very close, or I guess the flea could travel on a cat or something, you never know.

I'd just really like to know (I'm studying to be a vet nurse, we learn hardly anything about rabbits though so I always want to know more.)

It's such a horrible disease, I want to let bunny owners I meet know more about . . .

If the vet thinks shes fit enough to undergo GA then I think it will be well worth it and beneficial for her xx

**edit** neither of mine needed any special after care after their neuter/spays and were eating almost as soon as I got them home :)

Last edited:
I rang my Dad and asked him if I should do it and he said it would be the kindest thing for it. Didn't stop me crying though 8...

I know, it was just on the outskirts of Barton too. Myxi can be carried by flies and things can't it?

Worth knowing, I will check with my vet on Weds and if they do I'll keep a box & rubber gloves in my car just in case I come across another.

You did the right thing - well done, I know how hard it is, I've had to do it myself on a few occasions.

Myxi is rife everywhere - its just due to rabbits living in close confines etc. - its incredibly infectious!

Does anyone actually know for sure (preferably with evidence to back it up?) what insects can transmit myxo?

I just would really like to know, out of interest. I know in places like Australia that mosquitoes are a big carrier, but here what would be? Some people say biting insects, but that's not very clear, some people say midges but does anyone know if that's actually true?

I know rabbit fleas transmit it, but that would mean a wild rabbit would have to get very close, or I guess the flea could travel on a cat or something, you never know.

I'd just really like to know (I'm studying to be a vet nurse, we learn hardly anything about rabbits though so I always want to know more.)

It's such a horrible disease, I want to let bunny owners I meet know more about . . .

Myxomatosis is spread by:
1) Direct contact with an infected animal - huuuugely contagious by direct contact - i *think* although I'm not certain that it is the same virus as the poxvirus which can affect birds, particularly pigeons - in pigeons its exhibited as scabs around the beak, conjunctivitis and fibrous growths on the legs/feet.

2) By biting insects - the insect is not a vector for the disease (i.e. the virus doesn't need the insect to transmit it) however when a biting/blood sucking insect feeds on an infected animal, it retains some of the blood within its mouth parts - when it moves onto the next animal to feed, it "injects" an anticoagulant into the wound via its mouthparts, thus transferring the infected blood from the previous animal, into the one its now feeding on.

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back