Rabbits spine curving

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snugglypig

Hi everyone,

One of my new rabbits has started to develop a curvature of the spine well that is what it feels like., if you put your hand directly behind her ears on her neck and run your hand down towards her tail along her spine it bows out towards the right of her. :(

Mopes has always been a quiet rabbit and seems very happy, always asking for cuddles and greats you when you go to cage or run.hops and jumps about fine, no wobbles when she walks or runs.;D

she eats and drinks well and loves her vegetables. ;D
I have had to separate her from her sister Flopsey as she was being dominant and pulling mopsey's fur out by the mouthful. :'(

She doesn't filch when you pick her up or squeal so I am sure she is not in any pain

does anyone have any idea's her litter sister is absolutely fine.

Thanks in advance

Karen

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Just been reading about spinal defomities in rabbits in 'Rabbiting On' magazine. Apparently it can be fairly common and as long as the rabbit isn't in pain it really isn't too much of a problem. I've got a house rabbit called Schmichael. He's a little dutch rabbit. He has recently been diagnosed with Horners Syndrome. It was caused by an ear infection and he is on long term antibiotics. Apart from that he is fine and an absolute little darling. X

S

snugglypig

Thanks furryfriends.

unfortunatly I had to have her put to sleep, her back legs began to stop working

the vet found two puncture wounds which were not new wounds which she thought was caused by something bigger than the other bunny, so a little confused as nothing else was able to get her, she also had an old injury to her lower spine which the vet thinks was inflicted when she was tiny.
RIP Mopsey

karen

S

snugglypig

Thanks everyone,

It was a real shame as she had fought so hard to get big, she was the runt but there was no way she could recover from what had happen
it was the kindest thing for her,

her sister is not being very nice to me at the moment, I think she is missing mopsey. She also took a chunk out of my old bunny Bugsy through the wire mesh. Will just keep picking her up and handling her and hope she mellows again.

karen

michellemuffin

Reaction score
so sorry to hear about your loss, i find it amazing how siblings cope when they lose their brother or sister, when I lost one of 2 brother pigs a few years ago, sylvester died then his brother just gave up and tweety pie died a few days later, he just gave up , but saying that we lost our darling Charlie our dog on july 24th, max his brother went off of his food for a while and wont eat his chews, he has to have the soft ones now, but is gradually getting stronger but is now a very spoilt mutt,
so they act in different ways,

S

snugglypig

Thanks Michellemuffin,

Flopsey does seem fine now, her stroppyness has gone and she is back to herself, don't think it helped that I had to be away at the same time as Mopsey going but since being back home, she is fine and true to form escaping from her run.

so true about how pets react differently, I have had guinea's just give up when they loose a sibling.
One of my persians lost a kitty and acted like nothing had happened so strange, only wish it didn't effect us when we loose them I lost my beloved Jasper a year ago last Easter Saturday, and find piccies of him or something of his and still end up in tears.

karen

Status
Not open for further replies.