rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellyspiggies

anyone know anything about rabbits, i got a male rabbit he lives on his own, i think he would benefit from having a friend but would like to know how rabbit are when you introduce them to a new rabbit and what sex would be better i always thought you could only put male and female together but i heard if you get a neutured male they might get on well together all advice needed

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
[color]I hav a mal hous rabbit call Schmichal.

W took him in whn w foun out my mums frin ha took him in bcaus h was abus baly by his ownr an was not f along with som guina pigs who i i.

W think Schmichal has bn nutur as w cannot s anything own blow lol - Prhaps h is just small?

W took him to th vt ags a go an ask thm to chck his sx an sh finally sai "oh ys h is mal" an w sai is h nutr an sh sai no? Which is strang as w can't s anything.

Bcaus h is a hous rabbit h liks bing on his own. My mum ra that if you gt anothr rabbit for a hous rabbit thy thn on't lik human contact as much.

If you woul lik to know anything about rabbits my mum has an obsssion with Schmichal so sh prob coul hlp. I coul giv you hr mail if you lik an ask hr what sh thinks!

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kellyspiggies

he lives outside in a hutch and he goes over to the piggies cage all the time when he is out and I'm just wondering if he would like a friend, he seems so grumpy and he has lived with a rabbit b4 when he was with someone else but they sold them seperatly so maybe he missies his friend he hasnt been with another rabbit since november october time i only had him bought 3 months

G

gothchick1515

I have a neutered female called bobbin whos lonely and we're gettin her a castrated male as they get on best i have two females together who fight constantly and twice very maliciously but my we gave my mums friend tracy the two babie males and once they where neutered they where fine i think the most important thing is to neuter as it makes them much happier and much less aggressive and they recover quickly from the op and i think its much less servre for males i would say get a neutered female but castrated males can get along to just make sure you introduce them on neutral territory because ive seen what can happen if you dont and its not pretty! xx
i dont no if thats clear enough to see the hairless patch thats where Flic had to be shaved to reattach her eye! i would not recommend two females to anyone if there not neutered thats just my opinion! xx

G

gothchick1515

Oh and if you or anyone needs to know something about rabbits ill try and answer as much as possible i may not no alot about my piggies but my bunnies are pampered and ive had them for years and bred from bobbin ive had males too so i will try my best to help so anyone can pm me if they would like to know anything xx

M

madmel

i have got two females just got 2nd today and i just need 2 no if pairing 2 female is possible. there has been one or two tantrums from each of them but want to know if this will eventually pass as they are both very special to us. they are both indoor rabbits. any surrgestions would be fantasic. O0

K

karenrgpr

Keeping two does together can be difficult unless they are spayed. Spaying is advised anyway because a large number of them develop uterine cancer, it also reduces hormonal aggression, similarly having bucks done will reduce aggression and stop spraying and humping ::)

Personally I have always preferred bucks to does, but I never got mine castrated/spayed (this was when I was in my teens and knew no better ::) )

Have you got a rescue near you that could help you with bonding? Ideally you would have got a ready bonded pair from a rescue but I'm sure one would be happy to help you.

amy104

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
A male/female pairing works best. Same sex pairings can also work. Both must be neutered and bonded on neutral territory.

I have kept bunnies since a kid so am happy to help with any questions. Or you can try rabbit rehome's forum.

G

Gem x

I've had rabbits 15 years and currently have 11, 9 of my own and 2 permanents from my rescue 98)

Quavers

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
rabbits do like company but its all down to personal choice in my opinion, if hes not neutered id do that first and when finding him a friend you can to a rescue here they will bond the rabbits for you which is one weight off your shoulders but they will require a homecheck so if you go down the rescueing road makesure you have a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch and a decent sized run (bigger then the hutch), but if you decide to go through free ads or a petshop for a companian make sure you have the space and time for 2 separate rabbits incase they dont bond.

2 males are actually the hardest to bond in rabbits unless they are siblings they will most likely fight even when neutered but its deffinatly not impossible ;) id personally suggest getting a girlfriend for him :)

xx

karen354

Reaction score
I have 6 bunnies, 2 live as housebuns and the 4 live together in a shed and run...
Before I found the rabbit united forum I had 1 bun and added another 5 into our family since then :) I love my buns and just love seeing them snuggled up together..
When I had the lone housebun Bertie we never ever thought he'd accept a wife as he was such a spoilt boy, thankfully after a few days bonding they settled lovely and Bertie adores his wife Fizzy..

Same with the outdoor bunnies they are great friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.