• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Random Lactose Intolerance Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus&Charlie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok, so since hitting my 30's, I have developed a multitude of allergies to various foods: shellfish (primarily shrimp & lobster being the most lethal), all tree nuts, kiwi, and now most recently, milk &*sigh* ice cream. That having been said, I still can & DO have light cream in my tea EVERY MORNING without incident. Anyone else have an inability to drink milk but can still have cream? This is all new to me & I just figured if I can't tolerate milk, I probably couldn't tolerate light cream as well? Thoughts?

I have something similar.

I have developped lactose intolerant but it only affects me in the morning. I cannot have cereal, tea etc in the morning unless I have had something in my stomach first or I end up very ill.

It's strange as the rest of the day I can eat any kind of dairy and my favourite treat at night is a bowl of cereal with yogurt on it.

I hear you can get types of lactose intolerance, so mine is mild which is why it only affects me in the morning when my stomach is empty.

I suffer terribly with lactose intolerance and should be really careful with what I eat and drink but as a chocolate lover I find it really hard. Thankfully there are lots of dairy or lactose free products I use instead. The higher fat the item is the worse it seems to be so that may be why you find light cream easier to digest than a full fat cream.
There are tablets you can buy that you take just before eating something that helps break done the lactose. The ones In the UK I get from Holland and Barrett called super lactase enzyme but they're not cheap. I'm sure there must be something similar in the states x

I have different allergies as well :/ I suffer with IBS anyway, I also have rhinitis. I noticed they all got worse as my health got worse, I was diagnosed with "possible" Fibro last year, it affects people in more ways than people think.

I suffer terribly with lactose intolerance and should be really careful with what I eat and drink but as a chocolate lover I find it really hard. Thankfully there are lots of dairy or lactose free products I use instead. The higher fat the item is the worse it seems to be so that may be why you find light cream easier to digest than a full fat cream.
There are tablets you can buy that you take just before eating something that helps break done the lactose. The ones In the UK I get from Holland and Barrett called super lactase enzyme but they're not cheap. I'm sure there must be something similar in the states x
I actually rarely have milk (whole milk) only occasionally if I'm craving cereal- so giving that up won't be that hard. I also am a HUGE CHOCOLATE LOVER- but since my gastric bypass surgery (back in 2008) I can ONLY tolerate dark chocolate and that's ok since, it's my FAVORITE!

Mmm minty dark chocolate :drool:
This looks similar to the tablets I take if I want ice cream or something I shouldn't be eating

Mmm minty dark chocolate :drool:
This looks similar to the tablets I take if I want ice cream or something I shouldn't be eating
That just it, I do believe the universe is trying to tell my fat arse NOT to eat these things, thus why I continue to become allergic/intolerant to them. LOL HAHAHAHAHA!

I tried to do dairy free for a while after uni as it was suggested it might help with my pain... it didn't lol! I discovered cheezly (fake cheese most of which was alright actually). I hated soya milk but apparently rice milk is nicer and there is a milk now which doesn't contain lactose and I see it advertised on tv lol! One thing I was quick to discover was Swedish Glace ice cream... dairy free ice cream! And it was very nice too! There is also the option of going for sorbet as opposed to ice cream.

My daughter is lactose intolerant, milk gives her diarrhoea but she is fine with cheese and ice cream. We buy Lactofree milk for her from Tesco.

There are so many amazing dairy alternatives around now, especially in the US, but the UK is catching up too. Lady Kelly am amazed you liked Cheezley, most people hate it (I like it). There are loads of dairy free cheeses now and you can even get them in Tesco.

Oh yes, though the smoked is not bad. It's very synthetic. I love Violife which you can get in Tesco. Tesco own brand is Scheese repackaged. Also love Wilmersburger and Veganic, plus some Vegusto. Have learnt to make my own cashew cheese too though not done it for a while. Daiya is the holy grail and you used to only be able to get it in the US but some shops are ordering it in now as Veganz in Berlin stock it and sell it on to the UK I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back