• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rant!

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm on a hamster forum as well as someone posted a question on how to get guinea pigs used to be handled.

I replied and happened to say that with my newest Guinea Pigs I had to handle them daily to give medical care, Anya's medicine twice a day and also wounds needed washing twice a day for both Anya and Aurora.

And I said I would just pick them up and keep a good grip on them and do what I needed while stroking them and what do you know by the end of the week they were a lot tamer.

But people on the forum seem to take offence at this and called it barbaric?

Is it?

I would just get them and pick them up what else was I suppose to do they needed treatment?
Should I have just let them suffer for the sake of them not being stressed for a second?
I Dont know its just bothered me,
I don't like people suggesting I'm not being a food owner I guess :/ :/

Absolutely not barbaric at all. Your piggies needed medical attention and you had to handle them for it - they are fine after it.

I guess i just needed someone else to say it was the right thing to do,

I get that Hamsters are a little different and it's best to let them come to you,
But even when I got my Hamster I had to handle her to give medical attention so I don't know why the other forum acted so negatively about it? :/

Don't let people online get you down, I am unsure on Hams but if you are waiting for a pig to come over to take Baytril willingly you will be waiting an awful long time :)

its easyer for people to comment on a situation with out knowing what its like being in said situation them selvs.
at the end of the day you were doing the best for your pigs and thats what you have to focus on at the end of the day.

people are to quick to comment on situations when they are not in them them selvs.
you were doing what was best for your pigs at the end of the day. thats what you need to focus on.

Sadly not all forums are as friendly as this one :(
Too true.
When Christian was about 7 days old he had a bad eye and needed 2 lots of eye drops which he objected strongly to. It took two of us to put them in. My son to hold him with both hands even though he was tiny (really wriggly though and difficult to hold due to being so very small) and me to hold his eye open while the first drop went in, then I had to open and close his eye before repeating it. It did look like we were being brutal but we did it as gently as we could and we talked soothingly to him the whole time. If we hadn't he would have lost his eye or died from the infection that was in it. You do the best for your piggies the best way you know how. The pigs don't understand you have their best interests at heart and are only doing it for them. Other people should butt out and leave you to do what you think is right for your pets you know them best after all!

wel said betsy
well said
Thank you @Maddy
I really annoys me that people think they know what's best for your pets! They don't know the story behind why your pet has to have a certain treatment. You wouldn't be doing it if you didn't have to! If your vet says you have to put in eye drops or they will lose an eye then you put in eyedrops! If you have to flush out an anal abscess once a day then that is precisely what you do. It may look horrible and your pet may object but you love your pet and you want to make them better.

Very true!
I'm glad other people agree!
I don't enjoy that other forum very much tbh, I think I might just find a new hamster forum :)

Reactions: Tim
Daft comments, of course you had to handle your piggy!

We also tamed out hamsters by handling them from day 1. We didn't wait for them to come to us and were tame in a few days!

Exacly!
Obviously it's not for everyone but the best way to tame can be to just get them used to being handled by handling them!

I've always thought this :)

Very true!
I'm glad other people agree!
I don't enjoy that other forum very much tbh, I think I might just find a new hamster forum :)
I always find if it make you unhappy being part of a group, move on ;)
Don't move on from here though, whee loves you! :hug: :D

Back