• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Hot Topic Rare And Best Chance To See Northern Lights (aurora Borealis) Tonight Throughout Uk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
For many of us south of the Scottish border, the opportunity to see the Northern Lights is a very VERY rare event....unless we are prepared to visit Iceland/Norway etc.

On monday there was a severe geomagnetic storm resulting in the Northern Lights being seen the length and breadth of the country - including South Wales Brecon Beacons, Dorset, and even Northern France.
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...en_stargazers_could_spot_them_again_tonight_/

Another geonmagnetic storm of similar intensity is destined to hit earth tonight , representing another opportunity for those south of the border (and into Northern France) to view this spectacular phenomenon.

You need to find a high vantage point, facing north, with unobstructed views and minimal light pollution from neighbouring towns/cities. We can;t say for definite when the best time tonight will be - but anytime between 10pm and 4am could result in a spectacular display. depending upon where you are in the country..

Here's some info on tonight's event on relevant websites: (which quite frankly is beyond me!)

http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

You might be better however referring to Aurorawatch UK on twitter here

https://twitter.com/aurorawatchuk

Seeing the Northern Lights is one of my bucket list items.....sadly for me, tonight clashes with organising 170 kids sitting a Maths calculator exam at 8am tomorrow morning - so I'm for an early night.

Good luck however to all those who manage to catch a glimpse ...and please post photos here for the rest of us.
x

@BossHogg - if you are on patrol tonight you could be in for a rare treat!
(Well, after giving us a very colourful set of piccies recently, maybe this is your reward to sit back and enjoy a "similar" spectcular and colourful display of mother nature at it's best!)
x

wow i would love to see them... we travelled to Lapland 2 years ago hoping we would see them but only came across santa...

Lee can banner it, I'm just setting off for work.

Isn't it meant to be a rare red one tonight?
Arora watch is really good, we signed up for that and get emails when we are likely to see it. Still - it's not easy where we are - too much light pollution.
Sorry you are missing the chance, it all sounds very hectic. Both of my sons have only days ago finished their last exams, it's a stressful time of year!

I hope one day you can visit Norway or similar and really see the lights properly. I have seen them from an aeroplane by having the shear wonderful good fortune of being in the right place at the right time, on a trip back from America, one of only a few flights I've ever taken.

I will definitely make sure to look. Our street lights get turned off at 1 a.m., so I hope I can see them. As a child in Australia, I once saw the southern lights (Arora Australis) and they were red - it was stunning.

We're going to go for a walk after we have done the pigs' veg to see if we can see anything. We live on the edge of the countryside so you never know.

I will definitely make sure to look. Our street lights get turned off at 1 a.m., so I hope I can see them. As a child in Australia, I once saw the southern lights (Arora Australis) and they were red - it was stunning.
If I had been born in Aus I would never want to leave! Where abouts did you live (if you don't mind me asking) :)

Done :) and wow, so exciting... wish I didn't live in the Midlands now... lots of light pollution by us unfortunately....

Anyone seen owt yet?

Just been on the Scottish border, didn't see anything either, too much cloud cover. :(

I heard up there was the best place, no hope for brummyland then. Ah well, maybe next time. I've never seen one yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back