• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Dental Readigrass for dental piggy

Hector

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi. Does anyone know any equestrian feed suppliers in Norfolk, near Thetford, Watton, Attleborough, Dereham where I can buy a large amount of Readigrass? Our little boy is struggling to eat enough after having his lower teeth removed and the vet has recommended Readigrass but I see online it’s cheaper to buy it in large amounts x

Skypipdot

Adult Guinea Pig
Hi. Does anyone know any equestrian feed suppliers in Norfolk, near Thetford, Watton, Attleborough, Dereham where I can buy a large amount of Readigrass? Our little boy is struggling to eat enough after having his lower teeth removed and the vet has recommended Readigrass but I see online it’s cheaper to buy it in large amounts x
I would try normal picked grass first, they can pick it up easier.
But not too much else it can cause bloat. I buy readigrass from my local farm shop or kennelgate sell it
And petscorner, often found in garden centres. What i like about readigrass is that its very short cuttings.

Wiebke

Staff member
Hi! Too much readigrass is too rich for guinea pigs; it should not replace hay as the mainstay of the diet. It is much better for the digestive system to feed timothy based recovery formula and use readigrass as a treat.

Our syringe feeding guide has a section on supporting dental guinea pigs.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

@furryfriends (TEAS)

Hector

Junior Guinea Pig
Thanks for your advice. Not too sure what to do now then. As the vet only recommended Readigrass and small amounts of alfalfa hay. I am aware too much grass can give bloat and alfalfa hay can Only be given in small amounts due to the calcium content. As well as obviously normal hay chopped up into little bits so hector can eat it. He is still able to eat his nuggets and veg in small pieces which is good though. Maybe I’ll have to call the vet and have a word. Although we are going back in two weeks. His lower and upper teeth werent meeting so they weren’t wearing down so he have to have them clipped a couple of times. Then both of his lower teeth Were loose at separate times and they were taken out during a routine appointment. She said we have to keep an eye on them as they grow back and we may have to have them removed completely. He has to go back into weeks time to have the upper ones clipped now. It may be better for Hector and for our finances for him to have them removed completely but I’m very wary of having him put under anaesthetic because of his age because I know how small furries struggle to recover from anaesthetics.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
As long as your guinea pig is used to eating fresh grass, there really is nothing better that you can feed for wearing teeth. Grass is very abrasive and the perfect diet for guinea pigs. The piggies at TEAS eat a hay and grass diet, with a small amount of veg and nuggets scattered in the hay. Most of our guinea pigs here have ongoing dental issues, as TEAS is a dental sanctuary and fresh grass is our first choice!