• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Recommend a cage upgrade? (re: one little piggy but would like to add more friends!)

jmk396

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We have one little piggy who is just over a year old and has a current cage size 42" x 18" x 21" but I'd like to buy him something bigger. I've heard a lot of people use C&C cages which sounds like a good option but I'm afraid of buying the cheap ones from Amazon because of the paint chipping and getting our piggy sick.

I was looking at this luxury resort for him: Piggy Condo C&C Cage with Pillars, Balcony, and Ramp from Guinea Dad.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 2.54.13 PM.png

However, it's quite pricey at $195 and I heard that some piggies don't like to use the ramp.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

We tried to introduce a buddy for our piggy but they really didn't get along so my wife decided to return the new one but I'd love to give it another shot. I'm hoping the new cage might be flexible enough to separate two pigs and slowly introduce them as well, etc.

Thanks for any advice!

IMG_0570.jpeg

Piggy Condo C&C Cage with Pillars, Balcony, and Ramp

I’m glad you are looking to get a new cage. I’m afraid the cage size you quote for his current cage aren’t suitable even for a single piggy - it’s too small (the smallest size a single piggy should be in is 48x24 inches minimum)

As your piggy is a male, then a c&c cage is best. Two boys together need a cage which is 5 grids by 2 grids on a single level.
The cage in the picture is 4 grids by 2 grids so, while it is considered minimum size for two boars, you are better off to go bigger.

The cage is always going to be an investment.
Not all piggies will use ramps and actually upper levels don’t count towards the cage size in any event.

When introducing a new friend, it has to be done the right way.
You can’t slowly introduce boars to each other. They need to be put together for a one time bonding in neutral territory.
If the new piggy is a baby, then they need to be bonded on the day you bring the new piggy home as babies need constant interaction.

You need to make sure there are plenty of hides with multiple exits and multiple of all resources.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Cage Size Guide

I understand your concerns but I use the Amazon grids with no issues. Even if I had gone the more expensive route on purchasing, all grids get checked regularly when changing fleece.
I hope you manage to find a friend for your piggy. Do you have any pictures of him for us to drool over?

I have a cage similar to this, but in addition to the base being 2x5, the second level I have is a loft, and is only about halfway up from the base rather than a whole grid. The problem I see with the whole level up is that the ramp is rather steep. Also two males require a 2x5 grid cage or equivalent at least. This does not include second levels, because they need space where they can run fast and straight. Also, with a second level with one ramp they may be afraid to go up there, because if the other pig goes up there they're kind of trapped. I have that setup (I can't really fit two ramps), and my pigs almost never go up to the second level. Of course, I'm not sure if that's the main reason, and different pigs are different. Just my experience. They do love the covered area below, though.

I will say you absolutely need two guinea pigs. Guinea pigs are very social, just like humans, they don't like to be alone. Not all pairs of guinea pigs will get along, but it would be an extremely rare circumstance that a guinea pig won't get along with any other pig.

As mentioned above, you do need to introduce them in a neutral area, and they need to be done establishing their relationship all in one go before you put them in the cage. See Section 3 of this thread for a compilation of a bunch of guides dealing with that sort of thing. You also need to know what behaviors to look at to determine whether guinea pigs get along or not. There is some normal guinea pig behavior that can look like a problem when it actually isn't. Some guinea pig rescues will help you match up your guinea pig with another one that they can get along with.

Back