• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

recommend good dwarf hamster cages please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We should be soon getting some dwarf hamsters from a local rescue but wondered about a good cage ,obviously because they are dwarf the cage bars must be narrow ;D
Loved the bin cages idea but no time to fiddle with them

Thanks that looks gr8,but would it be ok for dwarf hamsters?

Hmm, there are lots of great cages. Can I advise you don't get Crittertrails or Habitrails though unless you're going to add more than one cage with tubes because one of it's own it too small.

Have you ever heard of the Imac Fantasy? They're really popular on a hamster forum I go on.. they look like this - http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/images/products/bat/574592_lg.jpg

Also, rat cages are really good, but it depends on the bar spacing. I've seen them in the pet shop that have the same bar spacing as mice cages, but some are really wide. You can get really large wire cages too if you can find any.

One thing is make sure it's atleast 18" x 12" bare minimum.

I kept mine in a large mouse cage with a plastic bottom and wire top, there was a large second level for them to climb up on. Another time i have used aquariums with good success, lots of cardboard boxes and tubes. Only problem is suspending the water bottle but with a bit of ingenuity you'll do it ;) Mine used to like fir cones with bits of food hidden in 8)
As dwarfs don't climb like syrians the bars aren't so important, though I bet someone's got a climbing Dwarf out there ::)

karenrgpr said:
I kept mine in a large mouse cage with a plastic bottom and wire top, there was a large second level for them to climb up on. Another time i have used aquariums with good success, lots of cardboard boxes and tubes. Only problem is suspending the water bottle but with a bit of ingenuity you'll do it ;) Mine used to like fir cones with bits of food hidden in 8)
As dwarfs don't climb like syrians the bars aren't so important, though I bet someone's got a climbing Dwarf out there ::)

Yep well i did have yeah he also liked to jump off his house !

I had no probs with the bars on this cage in fact personally i found them great and no probs to clean out i did have extensions on mine as well though

There's always at least one LOL! My Syrians, Huff and Puff, loved to swing from the bars and drop from great heights but never had a climbing dwarf ;D Mine used to comr out to free range when I cleaned them out. Hammys are funny, no matter how much space they have they always want to escape it seems. Huff would happily play in our lounge for about 20 minutes, then he'd sit at the door trying to get out ::)

Just to let you know Snowy the white dwarf russian came to live with us on Christmas eve she is so cute and friendly,unfortunately the 3 sisters started to disagree so had to go for one,she gets lots of company though :)Thanx Cheryl ,she is a beautiful little girl.Will post pics soon...

Aquariums are quite good - usually quite cheap as well - you can buy 2nd hand ones (some leak very slightly through the seal so are no good for fish!). They are quite versatile - plenty of space to make little hidey areas etc. Just put some wire on the top. (Obviously be careful the sun isn't shining directly into it in the summer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back