• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Recommended Sq Ft per Pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

astevens4

Ok,

I guess ive been bitten by the piggy bug, and have decided I'm going to build a piggy palace of monumental proportions - or as much as i have room for anyways!

As i mentioned on another thread ive taken on a preggo mummy pig and her 5 month old daughter (who also may be preggo) - i have absolutely settled on keeping any female babies, although the boys will have to go (simply because i have 3 young kids, and piggies of both sexes (even seperated) + little hands = too much potential for accidents!), now the area i have for them INSIDE the outbuilding is around 8 X 5 (feet)and i was planning on making it multi-level - the question is really how much is the minimum per pig (dont want to make it too small) and is there any issue with multy level arrangements (with appropriate ramps) - do they have an issue with heights?

They will have access to a 12 X 8 outside run during the day via a hole in the wall and an internal door (closed at night).

Tony

P.S. is there a cure piggy addiction?

If you come across a cure, please tell me! I've gone from 2 to 5 piggies since I joined this spring!

The recommended minimal living space is 2x4 ft for 2, 2x5 ft for 3 piggies etc... If you can provide an additional run to let it rip, all the better!

If your ramps & levels have high enough sides on them where the piggies feel safe they won't have a problem using them once they're used to them. I have ramps in some of my hutches & babies esp. will bomb up and down them :)

i had to train my guineas to go up n down ramps
food was their motivation lol! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back