Recommended travel/foldable cage?

Navi4321

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm looking for a lightweight, foldable cage that I can easily put up when I take the piggies on family visits. I have one of those octagonal pop up playpens, but it takes up a lot of space so something more rectangular would be ideal, preferably with a top to keep cats from climbing in. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or should I just put together some grids on top of a shower curtain?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don’t take my piggies away but they live in my shed and therefore during the summer there are periods when they need to come indoors due to hot weather. I have grids cable tied together, all except the ends, so I can concertina them up for easy storage and easy rebuilding of the cage. I just pop in a few connectors to give it rigidity. I have a sheet of plastic which I pop down on the floor, cage on top and then bedding

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We went to stay with my mum recently and just used grids and a shower curtain, it worked a treat! Used to have a furplast cage they will fold fairly flat but the base is still very big vs the space spare grids take up! 85CC694F-5836-48A8-9E9F-0572AAB9B187.jpeg

piggieminder

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I concertina up enough grids for a 4 x 2 C&C and use 2 bull dog clips to fasten the first and last grid together. The plastic sheet, grids, fleece bedding, etc all packs into 2 shopping bags.

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Agree with all the above, but if you are after something a bit more sturdy as you mention cats then I believe a kids travel cot is something people use for travelling piggies sometimes? Depending on the number of piggies of course, it would fit a pair for a short break :)

Navi4321

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Agree with all the above, but if you are after something a bit more sturdy as you mention cats then I believe a kids travel cot is something people use for travelling piggies sometimes? Depending on the number of piggies of course, it would fit a pair for a short break :)
That's a great idea, thanks!