• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Recovering from GI Statis - How long do I handfeed & he's still loosing small amounts of weight

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am after a little bit of advice and reassurance. My 4 1/2 year old piggie was diagnosed with GI statis in the last week of August after being given antibiotics (Baytril) because he was impacted! We realised straight away that something wasn't right and took him straight to a different vets who were horrified that he had been given antibiotics for impaction, so I think we caught it very early. (I check that he isn't impacted all the time and he is absolutely fine).

The vet was fantastic, gave him a thorough examination and prescribed him 0.2ml of Metacam (once a day) & 1ml of Emeprid every 8 hours. We also got him straight onto the Emeraid IC Herbivore Critical Care food and Excel DualCare food, and also we started giving him Bio-Lapis drinks whenever he was having a feed. When at the vets she said that he definitely wasn't dehydrated at all.

We were told to springe feed him every 2 hours, so we did that for 4 days, saw a very big improvement in that time, had started pooping again, not massive but something. The vet then said to take the feeding down to every 3 hours which we did. Oh also, in all this time he was still eating hay and cucumber and lettuce (couldn't get any other fresh food into him but I was pleased with that). Since then, we have been in regular touch with the vet and have taken him back once for another examination because even though he was eating everything that he could get his little paws on, he was still dropping a little bit of weight - just 3-4g per day but never puts that back on (and this is still the same now). His stomach is nice and soft, no bloat and no lumps and bumps anywhere.

We are now up to feeding him every 5 hours and next week it will be every 6 hours (taking it down an hour every week as per the vets instruction) with a view to once a day as a top up after that. He has a fantastic shiny coat, the best it's ever been, he is alert, chattering to my other piggie and pottering around as normal. All good so far. Apart from, he does go into his own little world a few times a day, where I can pick him up, wave my fingers in front of his face and absolutely no response whatsoever, its like he goes into a trance?

So, my concern is, he is still dropping 3-4g every morning when we weigh him, we weigh at exactly the same time every morning 6.30am and it's always before his feed from us. We have put a call in with the vet again today to see what she says because it is a bit of a concern. We are also still giving doing everything that I have stated above, with regards to feeding him and medication, with the addition of giving him 0.4ml of liquid vitamin c (he has perked up a bit now he has that once a day but its only been 3 days too).

Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
3g a day isn’t too big in the grand scheme of things. But continual weight loss does mean you have to up the syringe feeding again. How much are you getting into him daily? Weight loss is due to not eating enough hay, which can’t be judged by eye.

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, it's because it's continuous weight loss that concerns me, especially when you add it up after a week. I have been totalling the syringe feeding up, and it's usually between 27-40g's within 24 hours. We have been doing this now for 4 weeks, is that normal? We log how much every feed and have a log of his weight too. Thanks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
@Honey22 I’m sorry I accidentally moved your thread to another section and can’t undo it. But I’ve reported and hopefully someone will move it back to H&I soon!

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thank you for your response, it's because it's continuous weight loss that concerns me, especially when you add it up after a week. I have been totalling the syringe feeding up, and it's usually between 27-40g's within 24 hours. We have been doing this now for 4 weeks, is that normal? We log how much every feed and have a log of his weight too. Thanks
I meant 27-40ml not grams

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Okay. You need to try for 60ml in a 24 hour period, so you’ll have to do it regularly again. I hope he starts putting it on again soon.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am after a little bit of advice and reassurance. My 4 1/2 year old piggie was diagnosed with GI statis in the last week of August after being given antibiotics (Baytril) because he was impacted! We realised straight away that something wasn't right and took him straight to a different vets who were horrified that he had been given antibiotics for impaction, so I think we caught it very early. (I check that he isn't impacted all the time and he is absolutely fine).

The vet was fantastic, gave him a thorough examination and prescribed him 0.2ml of Metacam (once a day) & 1ml of Emeprid every 8 hours. We also got him straight onto the Emeraid IC Herbivore Critical Care food and Excel DualCare food, and also we started giving him Bio-Lapis drinks whenever he was having a feed. When at the vets she said that he definitely wasn't dehydrated at all.

We were told to springe feed him every 2 hours, so we did that for 4 days, saw a very big improvement in that time, had started pooping again, not massive but something. The vet then said to take the feeding down to every 3 hours which we did. Oh also, in all this time he was still eating hay and cucumber and lettuce (couldn't get any other fresh food into him but I was pleased with that). Since then, we have been in regular touch with the vet and have taken him back once for another examination because even though he was eating everything that he could get his little paws on, he was still dropping a little bit of weight - just 3-4g per day but never puts that back on (and this is still the same now). His stomach is nice and soft, no bloat and no lumps and bumps anywhere.

We are now up to feeding him every 5 hours and next week it will be every 6 hours (taking it down an hour every week as per the vets instruction) with a view to once a day as a top up after that. He has a fantastic shiny coat, the best it's ever been, he is alert, chattering to my other piggie and pottering around as normal. All good so far. Apart from, he does go into his own little world a few times a day, where I can pick him up, wave my fingers in front of his face and absolutely no response whatsoever, its like he goes into a trance?

So, my concern is, he is still dropping 3-4g every morning when we weigh him, we weigh at exactly the same time every morning 6.30am and it's always before his feed from us. We have put a call in with the vet again today to see what she says because it is a bit of a concern. We are also still giving doing everything that I have stated above, with regards to feeding him and medication, with the addition of giving him 0.4ml of liquid vitamin c (he has perked up a bit now he has that once a day but its only been 3 days too).

Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated.
Hi!

You may find this guide here helpful where we have compiled all information and care tips for the most common serious diegestive problems: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Here is my own experience with a more severe than normal GI stasis: Please Send Your Vibes To Pili Pala!

Please be patient and continue your support. If it is a more serious and just quick bounce back GI stasis, recovery can take a little while until things are back to full working order and the digestive system stable again. Please be aware that the weight swing over 24 hours is 30-40g as the difference between a full and empty bladder is 10g, never mind a full or empty belly. We talk of weight loss only after 50g.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

All the best!

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

You may find this guide here helpful where we have compiled all information and care tips for the most common serious diegestive problems: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Here is my own experience with a more severe than normal GI stasis: Please Send Your Vibes To Pili Pala!

Please be patient and continue your support. If it is a more serious and just quick bounce back GI stasis, recovery can take a little while until things are back to full working order and the digestive system stable again. Please be aware that the weight swing over 24 hours is 30-40g as the difference between a full and empty bladder is 10g, never mind a full or empty belly. We talk of weight loss only after 50g.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

All the best!
Thank you. It was your guidance that out me into the Emerprid food, he loves both normal and mint flavours. One last question, do you think he still needs the gut stimulant medication because he is pooping ok. I definitely don't want to go backwards with him, he's my baby. X

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you. It was your guidance that out me into the Emerprid food, he loves both normal and mint flavours. One last question, do you think he still needs the gut stimulant medication because he is pooping ok. I definitely don't want to go backwards with him, he's my baby. X
I would continue for a few days more until you are totally sure that he is well and stable again. They can be given safely for the long term so there are no concerns in continuing the support for as long as necessary.

PS: Pili Pala was in the following months diagnosed with IBS symptoms (thickened lower gut, up and down weight, off and on bloating etc.) but continued to live for nearly another year until not too far off her 6th birthday even through she did pick up hyperthyroid as well over the course of the spring and summer. In view of her background, which was as bad they come, this was a grand old age but she required daily medical and feeding support to get her there.

Honey22

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning Everyone, well what a start to the day.... we did the normal weigh in before food at 6.30am and guess what, the little monkey has only gone and put 20g's on from yesterdays weight. I snuck in an extra feed before I went to bed last night and one during the day and looks like it worked. Poop everywhere and back to normal size and shape (so very pleased). So we are just going to continue what I did yesterday and see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you everyone for your comments, sometimes reassurance that you are doing everything right is all that is needed. What I will say too, my Doobles has always loved me (doesn't like men for some reason, but we don't know what happened before he was rescued and came to us), he has just become even more loving and loves having a snooze on my lap whilst I read my book......Thanks again!

PS. If anyone is struggling getting food down their piggie, I can't recommend Emerprid Critical Care Food enough. I am 100% sure that's what saved him (he doesn't like Oxbow CC) because he lapped it up and still does. xx

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Morning Everyone, well what a start to the day.... we did the normal weigh in before food at 6.30am and guess what, the little monkey has only gone and put 20g's on from yesterdays weight. I snuck in an extra feed before I went to bed last night and one during the day and looks like it worked. Poop everywhere and back to normal size and shape (so very pleased). So we are just going to continue what I did yesterday and see what tomorrow brings.

Thank you everyone for your comments, sometimes reassurance that you are doing everything right is all that is needed. What I will say too, my Doobles has always loved me (doesn't like men for some reason, but we don't know what happened before he was rescued and came to us), he has just become even more loving and loves having a snooze on my lap whilst I read my book......Thanks again!

PS. If anyone is struggling getting food down their piggie, I can't recommend Emerprid Critical Care Food enough. I am 100% sure that's what saved him (he doesn't like Oxbow CC) because he lapped it up and still does. xx
Do you mean Emeraid recovery formula? It does go down better with piggies who have totally lost their appetite.
Emeprid is the brand name of a gut stimulant.