• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Red sore on his front leg?

CLK

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! Wasn’t sure where to post this exactly, but I just got my guinea pig on Friday. I’ve just noticed this red raise on the front of his leg. Not really sure what it is, can anyone help?

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum
You really should get that seen by a vet as soon as possible.
Only a vet can give you a proper diagnosis and any treatment needed.

If you live in the UK there is a list of recommended vets at the top of the forum.
These are vets forum members have used who we know are good with Guinea pigs.
If you can’t find one close to you then ask here, telling us where you are.

If you are not in the UK try Guinealynx for information.

Hope he’s ok - please keep us posted

Would soap irritation cause any type of dry raise like that? I used dove soap in the water I washed him in (didn’t realize it was bad for their skin until now!) and I’m curious if it might just be a irritation. I live in US and I’ve called few local vets but they don’t accept guinea pigs. And the pet smart I bought him from has its own vet in store but they only see cats and dogs. I’ll keep calling around to see if I can find any other vets that would accept him. He’s only 3/4 months old. I’m just overly worried because the area it’s on.

Thank you again!

Hi.. If it's an isolated area then it probably wasn't the soap as I would expect your piggy to be sore all over? A normal vet should really agree to see you - it does need looking at and they don't need to be an expert on pigs for a skin irritation/problem. Good luck!

Hello and welcome
Keep trying to find a vet who has some experience of piggies x
I don’t know what it is, it could be a number of things, which a vet will be able to diagnose
Good luck let us all know how you get on, and hope he makes a speedy recovery!

Hello! Wasn’t sure where to post this exactly, but I just got my guinea pig on Friday. I’ve just noticed this red raise on the front of his leg. Not really sure what it is, can anyone help?

View attachment 117072

Thank you!

Hi and welcome

Please have your piggy vet checked for ringworm (highly contagious and transmittable fungal infection that can spread to humans and other species pets). You can reclaim the fee from the pet shop as exposure and infection have happened on their patch, either at the commercial supply breeder or the shop. The period between infection and outbreak is 10-14 days.

Please take the time to read the links below. They explain your customer rights and also tell you exactly how you have to go about to get on top of the invisible long lived ringworm spores in order to get on top of it once and for all. Hygiene is key. In the dozen years on this forum we have just about found every possible transmission angle the hard way and have worked out how to best counter it.
Your best investment is a vet grade disinfectant that is not just antibacterial (like the general ones) but also antifungal, like F10.
The ringworm guide will also show you in pictures how the course of an acute ringworm outbreak runs.
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

All the best! Please refuse to sell back your piggy to the shop; this means that you lose any rights to your piggy. It is NOT a legal practice.
If you can't find any vets, then please follow the treatment advice in the ringworm links. Nizoral dandruff shampoo from a pharmacy should do the trick for both you and your little one.
Report the shop to your local council over trading standards for selling faulty ware and refusing treatment.

Thankfully I just found a vet near by the will see him! But not until the 10th. So for now I’ll have to keep an eye on him and make sure it doesn’t get any worse until then. Hopefully it’s nothing to serious!

I would recommend to get hold of a disinfectant as recommended in our ringworm guide (it never goes amiss anyway!) and to get some nizoral for yourself for a whole body shampoo to prevent catching it yourself, as well as using one way gloves whenever you handle your baby.
See the hygiene tips in the ringworm guide and take your precautions NOW! It is always better to be safe than to be sorry. And if it turns out to be ringworm (sadly not at all uncommon in new piggies), then the less chance you give the spores to spread the better. It is going to save you some massive headaches later on.

It wouldn't be the soap. To me it looks like ringworm, a fungal infection that can be transmitted between species, so practice really good handwashing so that you don't contract it yourself, and be sure not to touch it and then pat your piggie (or a cagemate, if he has one) so you are less likely to spread it to other sites. Wiebke above has made good suggestions- better to get a handle on it early than continually have your pig reinfected by leftover spores!

Just got out of the vet, he said it wasn’t appearing to be ring worm they check under a microscope. They’ve given me this stuff to put on twice a day then to follow up with them. Thank God! 117707

Thank you again to everyone! ☺

Fingers crossed this does the trick. Daisy's fungal patch went down quite quickly with this. Don't forget to wear gloves when putting it on

Well the bump has gone down, can’t really notice it anymore. But now I’m noticing that he’s itching a lot and sneezing quite a bit. Have to call the vet tomorrow, going to mention it to him. I really hope he doesn’t have mites.

Here’s a video of him itching. And he does this like every 5-10 minutes through out the day. Can’t tell if he’s itchy or cleaning himself. (Please ignore the messy fur! The medicine the vet gave previously is making it stick a bit together.)

Password for the video is — Arlo

There is some cleaning and scratching. Is the scratching more than usual?

Hope you can get an appointment soon.

I got him 2 1/2 weeks ago now but I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen him itch this much before. It’s very frequent. After that video he did the same thing about 15 more times.

Watched a few guinea pigs on YouTube that had mites, he does pretty much the same scratch and dance.

I’ll have to call the vet to book an appointment tomorrow. Do they draw blood to test for mites?

Back