• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rescue Piggy Poops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cookies&Glitter

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have had my rescue piggy for a week and a half. When I first got her who knows what she was eating and her little poops were all sorts of messed up.
Then by the 4th day they were completely normal and now the last 2-3 day they are slightly abnormal again. Mostly small and some are that dreaded tear drop shape.
She's eating and drinking beautifully and I'm definitely going to increase cucumber in case of dehydration. My exotics vet is currently gone on maternity leave and the vet that helped me with my Dove said she is otherwise healthy but I am concerned he doesn't appreciate piggy GI complexity as he told me he has never used a probiotic with a Guinea pig :/
I am wondering if I should monitor her, add a probiotic or try and find the next closest exotic vet 40 minutes away.
I'm hoping I'm over reacting as I haven't even had her 2 weeks yet so her tummy is probably still adjusting and at the store that she was abandoned at she had a few pellets and cut hay in the same bowl but who knows what she ate before that.
Don't have a lot of extra money as I spent so much in Dove when she was sick but I don't want that to be an excuse.
I can start weighing her daily as she is a little underweight since I got her but what else.............

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I think she is most likely adjusting to the new diet still but monitor for now and increase her fluid intake. I would also weigh her weekly if not daily to check that she is maintaining her weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.