• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

rescuing a piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayls

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is common or not but for some reason i react to most guinea pig hair except the rex ?/ i normally get itchy with the normal hair guinea pigs. So basically i want to rescue a couple of guinea pigs but I'm not sure if i told the rescue i wanted a specific hair type they would think i was being shallow. I know i could give a few piggies a good home, i have a decent sized wendy house and i know how to properly care for piggies although ive only ever had one. Anyway is this normal to react worse to certain types of hair or am i abnormal? ive only ever handled rex once and normal haired piggies alot of times, each time ive got really itchy. Is there any other hair types which cause less reaction? thanks :)

lauralucy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
your the opposite to me i'm allergic to rex's but i have two anyway :)

I'm sure if you explained why to the rescue they would understand and mayb even let you go and double check if your allergic?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well skinny pigs are practically hairless - except for a minor bit of hair on the face, but i doubt you'd get many of them in a rescue home.

You'd think you'd react same to all the hair types as they all still have fur just different textures.

They wouldn't think your being shallow - if you don't seem to react to a rex's coat then you could rescue some sweet little rexes.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well skinny pigs are practically hairless - except for a minor bit of hair on the face, but i doubt you'd get many of them in a rescue home.

You'd think you'd react same to all the hair types as they all still have fur just different textures.

They wouldn't think your being shallow - if you don't seem to react to a rex's coat then you could rescue some sweet little rexes.

Hayls

Reaction score
it could be possible i react to all fur types :... as ive had limited time with rexes.

Guinea-wiggles

Reaction score
My daughter's texel makes me feel a bit itchy, but certain types of dogs affect me more than others.
I was in the vets this morning and a woman with a cat sat next to me, with in minutes my eyes were itchy and my nose was running.
I'm sure a rescue would understand and just be happy that you want to adopt a rescue piggy.

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
I run a rescue and wouldn't think badly of you if you specifically wanted rex - each to their own!

I would handle some first though, as it's likely you would still be allergic. It's also worth seeing if it's actually their hair or whether it's the bedding / hay causing your allergies

Sophie
x

Hayls

Reaction score
Iam allergic to sawdust also and thats what the guinea pigs in my college are bedded on. I also love the look of rexes they are gorgeous x) ive just realised also my rabbit boarder breeds teddies (first ive heard of this breed ") ) they are simply the most gorgeous guinea pigs ive seen x) so i was thinking of maybe getting three girlies from her? Is that an okay bonding? I would ask to go and sit with her guinea pigs a few times every week just to be sure.

sophiew (EAGPR)

Reaction score
Well I would always recommend going to a rescue - there are many hundreds of guineas needing homes all over the UK, and you'd be surprised what breeds turn up in rescue! We've had all sorts here ;) and you'd be helping some needy guineas.

But yes, worth visiting her to see if your allergies flare up when cuddling the teddies.

Sophie
x

Hayls

Reaction score
Well I would always recommend going to a rescue - there are many hundreds of guineas needing homes all over the UK, and you'd be surprised what breeds turn up in rescue! We've had all sorts here ;) and you'd be helping some needy guineas.

But yes, worth visiting her to see if your allergies flare up when cuddling the teddies.

Sophie
x
i would much prefer going to a rescue and will have a look there first :) there isnt many rescues here and even less rexes or teddies, i have only ever seen the straight haired breed. They are gorgeous but i have reacted badly to my last male piggie and had to rehome him :( i really wouldnt like to rehome another hence my caution in owning more piggies. Hopefully i dont react this time! i loved having my last piggie he was such a joy x)

Status
Not open for further replies.