• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Review: Aubiose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I thought I would make a review page for each bedding so then people can read through each review and can then decide which is best for them.

On this thread please only write a review on what you think of the bedding the topic is about and then out of five stars ***** give it the number you think it should get. (5 stars = best)

Your review should look like this....

"I think.... <write your review>

*** (3 stars)"

If you would like to discuss this particular bedding or ask any questions, please start a new thread or find the approriate thread to post in.

A lot of us are now using Aubiose. I thought it was about time it got its own review space! :D

Thanks

I think Aubiose is great stuff. It ahemp bedding. Looks a bit like russel rabbit straw but doesn''t feel anything like it! Like megazorb its a horse bedding. You can get it from equine/agricultural suppliers. Again the first one I rang had it! Absorbant like the megazorb but absolutely no dust at all. Its got a pleasant smell. Its cheap (about £7 a bale) and available in handy vacuum packed bales which seem to last and last. Best of all it doesn't seem to get stuck in the boys coats and anal sacks like the megazorb did. I have test driven just about every bedding going and this is by far the best. I am totally satisfied with it!

And just to tempt you here is Hugo and Bubba on a bale!

aubiose.jpg

Aubclose.jpg

Aubiose 5 stars *****

5 stars from me too!

The absorbancy of Aubiose is amazing - the pee just drains through and the top is never even damp which is a real bonus for pigs with mobilty problems.

It makes a lovely soft bed and my lot like to make themselves big nests in it!

It is also much easier to tidy up after than hay etc as it vacuums up easier.

My favourite by far!

we have equine shops etc here in the dozens becasue horses are a popular country hobby my daughter in law has 5 horses so I know i will be able to get this, I could never get megazorb anywhere and ordered it on line it cost me £30 for 2 sacks and they lasted just over a week with my lot,

Read your glowing reports on here & got a bale today. Paid £8 for it. Have cleaned out the girls and so far so good. I can't smell it atall and there was no dust.

Is there more than one type of Aubiose as the one I found looked very, very sharp? It looked a bt like wood spinters and was quite hard. As one of our boys is a burrower, I was a bit concerned about using it? I use Megazorb at the mo and thats brilliant, but would like to try this stuff as an alternative.

As far as I know, there's only one type? This sounds like the bag I bought. I thought it would be softer too. Mine seem to get on OK with it but I don't have it deep, it was just for absorbency really. I don't know if I'll carry on using it, have gone back to newspaper and hay/shredded paper. I have a fairly new pair of guineas, one of which is pregnant and I don't use it for them but have been for my other 3.

I might give Megazorb a try next!

I've used aubiose (english version is sold as hemcore) for my horses and wouldn't want to use it for my guineas as I find it quite sharp and splintery too.

Also, I seem to remember that you need to add water to it when you first lay the bed to activate the absorbency so wheras its ok for horses as they are are bigger and higher than the bed most of the time the little guineas would be right on top of it all the time.

But I've also used megazorb at a yard I was working at and absolutely hated it so there is no way I would use that either! (Smelly and dusty and just horrible.) Same thing about spraying it with water though.

I suppose its true what they say about horses for courses?!

Someone needs to invent a new bedding!

We want: soft & comfy, absorbent, long lasting, nice smelling, inexpensive, compostable after use. Not too much to ask is it!

i know what you mean about it being sharp but have used it now for two months and have no problems. once it's in the cage and pressed down it seems quite soft.

unlike megazorb and wood shavings it does not get caught up in the coats and have found my pigs coats are not getting tangled as much as before.

it does stay alot dyer on the surface.

alot of my girls and one of my boys were suffering with sneezing with other bedding ,the vet suggested they were reacting to the bedding and that's why i changed to aubiose, it has made such a difference. i think all bedding seems to have some downfall

Jillybean said:
Someone needs to invent a new bedding!

We want: soft & comfy, absorbent, long lasting, nice smelling, inexpensive, compostable after use. Not too much to ask is it!

what about piggy nappies ;D ;D cna imagine changin my lot every day :D

Have just bought my first bale of aubiose. I was pleased to learn that my local livery yard/feed supplier stocks it, particularly as I had never heard of it before coming onto the GP Forum! Although it looks sharp, as others have mentioned, I was pleasantly surprised how "soft" it felt once I had spread it around inside my girls C&C cage. So far so good. The girls seem to love it, I haven't seen them popcorning around so much for ages - what do they put in the stuff! Will let you know how we get on with it.

OK aubiose update. Girls still seem to love it, any that ends up on the floor my side hoovers up easily and best of all NO SMELL! Bit messy when it comes to cleaning out their C&C cage, but so far so good!

Caviesgalore said:
... So far so good. The girls seem to love it, I haven't seen them popcorning around so much for ages - what do they put in the stuff! Will let you know how we get on with it.

Well, it is made from hemp lol... ;)

Even though we are happy with Megazorb, think we may give it a go, the bags of Aubiose look bigger than Megazorb for £2 more.

Boureki said:
Well, it is made from hemp lol... ;)

Oops, didn't realise what hemp was until I just googled it! Kind of all makes sense now ;D

Out of interest, do you use Megazorb indoors? Trying to get hold of a sample locally, as I have read so many reports of it smelling awful, don't want my house smelling of a stable yard!

Well, we've now tried Aubiose. We are really concerned about the splinters going up the boys bits, as they somehow keep getting nasty bits stuck in there. I'm not sure why my boys do but no one else seems to have this problem, therefore we have decided to stop using it. :-\

I guess if you have piggies which don't drag their bottoms around the bedding, it's ideal. But from our point of view give it 2 stars **, and thats because it's lovely and dust free, cheap and seems to last. (Sorry, I know Aubiose is popular here)

Where do you get your supply of aubiose from? I came across a site online that sells it for £7.36 and postage is £5.50. The postage makes it quite expensive. I dont know anywhere in my area that would sell it (Kingston upon Thames). ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back