Right Then, Anxiety, How Can I Get Over It, What Works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I know that some of you on this forum have anxiety problems, can someone help me? I have always been a worrier and at times am a bag of nerves but this has developed into real anxiety issues over the last few months.
i went back to the GP after an initial visit when I was given advice on meditation etc and was given propanalol for occasional use not everyday and told to self-refer for counselling but apparently its a long wait for a referral.

I dont want to go on like this, so what actually works? Is CBT helpful and is it worth paying privately for it so I can get it quicker? Is there any medication (like a daily thing that you take) that actually works? Thanks.... x

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suffer with anxiety of varying degrees, I didn't find the online CBT helpful (this was offered by my Doc a few years ago) it seemed more aimed at depression but I know this is a local course for Wolverhampton. So other areas may have different courses, I also didn't like the traditional challenge the thought method they advocated.

Last year I tried Mindfullness CBT which I saw a counsellor for, this has helped me cope with my milder anxiety but unfortunately not so much the 'Big' things, but it has helped, it also helped my OCD no end which started to flare up while I was anxious.

I do hope you find something that helps, if you ever need to chat please feel free x

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh thanks @sport_billy that is helpful. I did the online CBT course through occupational health at work a couple of years ago and attended the "handling work related stress" course but as you say it was very geared up to treat people with depression, which, thank God I am not.

Yours is the second recommendation for mindfulness CBT that I have been given so I will look into that.

I dont want it to negatively affect my work - I dont want to be signed off :(

thanks for your reply x

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem, I found Mindfulness useful it allows me to observe some thoughts then just recognise them as thoughts and place them to one side. It doesn't always work but it has made things better.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Personally CBT gave me some help with guides on what helped me but otherwise didn't help over all.

The best things I got from CBT was some tips on muscle, like blowing on your thumb. Another being to carry around music and if I start to panic put the headphones in my ear and block out everything using that (this is the one I use the most and helps REALLY well), another that I use is heat pads. If my panic attack gets really bad (mine centre around the stomach tensing) I put a heat pad on my stomach and it helps to calm down the muscle.

I was also given a course on this site that may help you
http://fearfighter.com/

You could ask if they can refer you to it.

Toffeewoffee

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I split up from my partner of 6 years a couple of years ago I went through really bad anxiety issues, I used to go for a walk, or chew gum, they both sound really odd, but a walk would work wonders as it would clear my mind and I would feel better for it, or if I couldn't go for a walk I found chewing gum a comfort and distraction.

A friend of mine went through very severe depression and anxiety and he had CBT and reflexology and they did him wonders, I would say to try anything, it's better to try than to feel anxious.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks @Julsie I have not seen that course. I was told to look at the "panic no more" website but just reading through it made me highly anxious lol!

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks @Julsie I have not seen that course. I was told to look at the "panic no more" website but just reading through it made me highly anxious lol!
You're welcome. =)
It's a good course if you have milder anxiety I think. It didn't help me too much as it wanted me to go out a lot and when I can't even leave the house alone it kind of... just not helping. XD

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no thats rough @Julesie poor you. I am not at that stage but am scared of it escalating. There are certain things I cant do at the moment (such as driving anywhere that I dont know) and I'm worried it will get worse.

Toffeewoffee

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yes, it was just the adaption from being in a partnership (quite a restrictive one I might add) to being on my own in the big wide world, I am sure it was just a natural process that many people go through when they split up with someone, time and lots of love and care from close friends and family sorted me out, but I found chewing gum would make me forget about my anxiety, sometimes I would do de grate on making shapes and moulding the gum in my mouth (and blowing bubbles ha ha) other times just chewing it helped.

Julesie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh no thats rough @Julesie poor you. I am not at that stage but am scared of it escalating. There are certain things I cant do at the moment (such as driving anywhere that I dont know) and I'm worried it will get worse.
Yeah its super rough. I hope it never escalates that way for you.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've had anxiety for about 9 years, started when I was really young.
I had a councillor which really helped me overcome anxiety for going out by myself etc.
Do you know what it is that sets off your anxiety?

CBT didnt work for me at all, they do teach you breathing methods but to be honest when your actually panicking its a lot easier said than done to put them into practice.

For me.. At the moment because like you I have to wait if I want counselling, it's a case of self mental help.
For example going out, if I start getting the bad "you can't do this" "your going to die if you go out alone" thoughts I then take over with the sensible part of my brain and tell myself I can do it and I can't not go out because it will ruin my life etc eventually I manage to put myself in the situation that makes me anxious and of course I'm fine. If I start to feel panicky I shut my eyes and think of the clouds and sky where I'm free and away from everything untill I start to calm down.
I see it as, you need to put yourself in that situation that makes you anxious to show your anxiety (stupid thoughts in your head) that there wrong and nothing bad or whatever they're saying will happen.

Tbag

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Daddypig has had a whole host of mental issues to battle, including severe anxiety and panic attacks, but the thing that helped him most with everything was CBT.
I think the thing to remember with CBT is that it's not an instant cure and you have to do it everyday and keep at it to undo all of the bad chemical paths your brain has made to panic/depression/whatever you are trying to overcome.
He used an online course he paid for after the nhs were largely useless, it was called the calm clinic and he can't recommend it enough. Once you finish the course all of the information is always available to go back to.

Good luck, anxiety is a horrible thing! X

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've always been a worrier and my mind always defaults to worst case scenarios/catastrophic thoughts in most situations (e.g. my boyfriend's late, has he been hit by a car!), which I know is a ridiculous way to be, but that's me!

About two years ago, we bought our first house, which was hugely stressful for all the reasons moving house usually is, and marked the first time I'd ever lived away from home. It was also going to mean a much longer, more costly commute to work, and suddenly having all these financial commitments weighing down resulted in me having near-daily panic attacks.

Things got progressively worse, as the guilt at feeling this way when it's all my partner and I had been working for (a life together), and eventually (well, after four months), I went to the GP and was prescribed Propranolol to take thrice daily.

It wasn't a silver bullet, and then I was offered the chance to self-refer myself for CBT and it really helped me, as my self-confidence had completely disappeared. To the point I was starting to withdraw from everything I used to do in my social life and at work.

It helped, essentially, re-teach me how to do everything again, albeit slowly.

I had my final session last April, and I was by no means cured, as there are feelings here I'm always going to have to live with, but now I understand why I get them (thanks to CBT) so I feel better equipped to cope.

Sounds boring, but cutting back on alcohol over the past year has benefited me immensely. In fact, the only panic attacks I've had recently have coincided with having stonking hangovers.

If you need to chat (and that extends to all GP forum members), I'm happy to help.

louwhiskyy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Among other sorts of therapy - Iv'e done CBT, DBT, mindfulness and all sorts - Guinea Pigs are the greatest anxiety relievers (except when I am worrying about them being sick!). After being in an absolutely terrible anxious state, a little piggy cuddle does wonders. Sometimes I just like to watch them and it helps me to calm down.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
My anxiety also comes from the fact that I am a worrier and overthink things, but it's also a symptom of fibro which I have. Thankfully since I started medication I have found it helps. Thankfully I never got to the stage of not going out, i don't suffer from social anxiety but I do over think, over worry and myself worked up. I have my ups and downs.

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I haven't read all the posts but I suffer from worrying and anxiety. I have just started seeing a therapist, today is my third week. I had to wait about 4 months until I finally got seen. I had cbt as a child and didn't find it to help but this is what I'm trying again now (I'm not convinced it's going to help but giving it another try) I also took fluoxetine for depression and anxiety and I found it helped the anxiety a lot :-) if you ever want to chat feel free to pm me :-) I have 101 issues and it would be nice to talk to someone who actually knows how I feel.. We should set up an anxiety thread for those of us who suffer to give advice and ask opinions etc!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh thank you so much for your replies and to those of you who PM-d me. I really really do appreciate it and I'm so thankful for the loveliness of this forum :wub: and to those of you who were prepared to share something personal to help me.
I am a very open person and I have a rule that I wont say anything on the internet that I would not tell other mums at the school gate, but this is something that I'm keen to talk about. I know that not all of you find it so easy to talk so I am very grateful.

It is so reassuring to hear that others have similar experiences, and to get ideas on what might help.

I've always been a worrier and my mind always defaults to worst case scenarios/catastrophic thoughts in most situations (e.g. my boyfriend's late, has he been hit by a car!), which I know is a ridiculous way to be, but that's me!

About two years ago, we bought our first house, which was hugely stressful for all the reasons moving house usually is, and marked the first time I'd ever lived away from home. It was also going to mean a much longer, more costly commute to work, and suddenly having all these financial commitments weighing down resulted in me having near-daily panic attacks.

Things got progressively worse, as the guilt at feeling this way when it's all my partner and I had been working for (a life together), and eventually (well, after four months), I went to the GP and was prescribed Propranolol to take thrice daily.
Thanks @Carrotyd you have articulated exactly how I feel a lot. I don't struggle with specific situations as such, its certainly not related to social situations (I'm highly sociable, and a fairly perky kind of person) but an example of how I usually feel lately is yesterday I was at work and my husband was looking after the kids. He rang me 3 times on my mobile and each time my heart was thumping and I felt a wash of panic/sickness as I instantly assumed something was terribly wrong.
When all he was ringing for was to find out where the kid's bike helmets were/where the dog's lead was etc.

Then an error was spotted at work (a small error) and I immediately assumed it was my fault, again, panic feelings, heart racing, felt sick/hot/cold. After checking the audit trial the error was not my fault and was easily fixed anyway. But I don't think that's a proportionate reaction?

My GP told me that propanalol (which works so well for me) was only short term and not to be taken every day - so its really interesting to hear that you have had it prescribed for daily use. I only have 28 tablets and that's all I'm getting I think - so I don't take them in case I really really need them one day when its really bad.....

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My GP told me that propanalol (which works so well for me) was only short term and not to be taken every day - so its really interesting to hear that you have had it prescribed for daily use. I only have 28 tablets and that's all I'm getting I think - so I don't take them in case I really really need them one day when its really bad.....
See, I was told that by one GP, only to take them as and when, but then when I went back to say the anxious feelings were still persisting I saw a different GP, and she told me I should be taking them everyday, as a preemptive measure as my panic response (e.g. heart racing) would be dampened in the event of something happening that would prompt it.

I got on okay with them, but - oddly - found that they made me sweat quite a bit ("odd" because most people get really cold hands and feet with them) and suffered nightmares/visual disturbances, but that was preferable to what I was experiencing before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.