• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rodentologist in Birmingham?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all!

I was just wondering if someone could recommend a rodentologist in the Birmingham area? Louis has been having trouble with his lower bottom teeth for quite a few months now. he has been to the vets twice to have them burred and both times it has been done without sedation etc i have a very good vet that i trust alot and i have an appointment on tuesday morning with her as his teeth need doing again, but also because I'm concerned over him losing weight and last night when he was out he seemed to be drooling ever so slightly which all seems indicative of problems with his molars. However the two times i have brought him to the vets they have tried to check his back teeth with an instrument and been unsucessful in doing so and have said both times that his mouth was full of food so he must still be eating ok etc i think if i express my concerns over the drooling and the weight loss they might try harder and maybe they only had a quick check before because i hadnt mentioned other problems. I'm basically hoping that my vets will be able to check all his teeth and do any required work without sedation but just incase they dont agree to do this i would like a back up option!

If anyone has any recommendations of someone in my area that could help id appreciate it. We dont drive so it would need to be someone that could be got to fairly easily using public transport:red

Thanks I'm advance!

Sorry to hear of Louis' problems, does sound like molar trouble to me and I think you are wise in trying to find a rodentologist who can do dental work properly.

Beautifulmess, did you PM the info of AP/Paul? Just wondering, no point me doing the same otherwise.

Sorry to hear of Louis' problems, does sound like molar trouble to me and I think you are wise in trying to find a rodentologist who can do dental work properly.

Beautifulmess, did you PM the info of AP/Paul? Just wondering, no point me doing the same otherwise.
I did :)

Thanks both and thanks to Beautifulmess for the info! Would you happen to know the Rodentologists location Laura-CCC4? Beautifulmess thinks hes in south birmingham, would be good to know to work out if we can get to him by train or bus!:)

Why are vets so useless?
I am sure Paul will sort him out, you are lucky you live so close others have to travel many miles, good luck.

I just wondered what are the odds of both our piggie boys going off their Cavy Cuisine at the same time? this week there has been alot of wastage with my throwing out most of their food at feeding time. they still dive on the fresh hay when its given and are eating veg but they dont seem to be touching the cavy cuisine much at all this week. it isnt a new bag or anything-i get two 4.5kg bags a time and these usually last a good 3 months kept in airtight containers. I was going to order more this weekend as they have a couple of weeks left of it before it runs out but now I'm not sure. Max has been on this food the whole time he has been with us which is 3 years and practically his whole life. Louis was on science selective when he arrived here with Ordell but after losing Ordell to bladder stones shortly after they arrived i started him on the Cavy Cuisine so again hes been on it practically the whole time too and he has been with us about 6 months longer then Max. basically I'm trying to say that they have never had a problem with the food before, always ate it no problem and I'm very happy with the food because they are nice and healthy piggies apart from Louis' teeth problems so not sure why its not being eaten at the moment:{

any ideas? could it be the weather? they are indoor only piggies and we started putting the heating on the beginning of this week as its finally got too cold in the house for us to handle! this is the only change i can think of that might have stopped them eating as much?

Piggie Teeth

Can anyone help with the rodentologist in Birmingham please. I have been back and forwards to the local vet and she has given up. Pig has had her teeth done three times now and lost a load of weight and I have been hand feeding her for nearly two months now. She drools alot as well. She still runs about and goes mad for her syringe feed so I know that she isn't suffering and I DON'T WANT TO LOOSE HER. Can anyone help please. I am sure this is teeth related.

If you can travel, widely regarded as the best piggie vet for dental work is Simon Maddock
Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton

Telephone 01604 478888

Hopefully Debbie (Furryfriends) may be on to offer her knowledge and advice to you. She uses Simon and can't speak highly enough of him.

It may be worth starting a new thread about your piggie as this is an old thread.

Please can we remember that medical care for guinea pigs should be done by a trained vet. Teeth rasping should most definately not be done with a file by someone with no vetinary qualifications who recommends that owners do not use a vet. If you are unhappy with your vet then seek another opinion from another vet.

I'm afraid that everything in guinea pigs is not necessarily fixable. If molars are misaligned they may grow down into the jaw causing intractable pain - it can require a head x-ray to diagnose this. If it isnt Improving it's not necessarily the vet's fault. Dental work is very painful and guinea pig teeth are tiny and sometimes you have to have a serious conversation with a vet about quality of life. Just because a pet can be kept alive by syringe feeding doesn't necessarily mean that this is kind. They are prey animals and hide pain.

I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but sometimes I think we get carried away with the idea that all is treatable.

But whatever else you do please, please do not let someone untrained treat your guinea pigs.

Paula

As has already been mentioned, the very best vet to go to is Simon Maddock here in Northampton. He has worked wonders with so many dental piggies. I run a Sanctuary for guinea pigs with extra needs (mainly dental) and thanks to Simon they are living a lovely life with really good quality.

As has already been mentioned, the very best vet to go to is Simon Maddock here in Northampton. He has worked wonders with so many dental piggies. I run a Sanctuary for guinea pigs with extra needs (mainly dental) and thanks to Simon they are living a lovely life with really good quality.
Debbie is he the one at Limehurst Square, Duston? If so, he came recommended by my own vet at AMC, when my last piggie was poorly but was going to be with my sister in Duston for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back