• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Rosie the cat’s teethies!

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Along with my poorly Jess atm, Rosie the cat has also been causing trouble (and Arnie the goldie too!). She’s 14 on the 18th August so not a spring chicken either like her piggy sister!
She’s been really off her food the last couple of weeks, at first put it down to all the heat but as it’s been cooler she’s still not tucking in properly we’re booked into my local vets for Monday morning (actually allowed in with her with a face mask on, yay! She would’ve ripped the vet to shreds otherwise! :))).
She’s got flea allergy dermatitis and obviously has had lots of issues with cystitis/UTIs over the years. She was on and off steroids for almost a decade with the dermatitis so I thought maybe her kidneys but I’ve noticed she’s struggling to pick dry food up with her front teeth, although seems to chew it ok when it’s in! Still not making up for the lack of dry food with the wet though 🤷‍♀️
So thinking it’s her teeth but I’m no vet! I’ve asked if I need to ‘starve’ her in the morning in case of xrays etc but receptionist said no, they probably wouldn’t do it then anyway! So that’s helpful 🙄Looks like it’s going to be a long week next week! :doh:Sure the oldies in this house want to send me to an early grave!
Never had teeth issues with cats as these girlies are my only ones, hoping it’ll be all sorted and she’s back to her normal self soon! Wish us luck!
7146D246-213B-4680-AF67-4341C91492EE.jpeg

Many years ago I found a young kitten (or rather she found me) who had a flea allergy and terrible dental problems . All her teeth had to be removed but she managed perfectly well without them. The annoying thing was I tried her on s well known brand of wine canned food of different flavours and she ate it heartedly. I thought it would be economical to buy the 36 pack of various flavours and she refused to eat it 🤪. At least the Animal Welfare Trust benefitted . Rosie should be fine and will be happier feeling more comfortable. Good luck

Would probably have made her feel better! :)) :)) Aah bless poor little girly, my Rose really suffered when she was younger with it, how sad she had to have her all of her teeth out, sounds like she coped well though, even if a bit fussy!
Rosie and her sis Daisy were the babies of a dumped pregnant cat my sister found years ago, she’s still going strong at my mums house! Crawling with fleas, tiny and really shouldn’t have been pregnant bless her, had two boys (who’ve both gone to RB) and my two girly monsters. I was always a dog person but they converted me to loving both I think!
Thanks so much :D x

Sending Rosie healing vibes and hugs to you. My cat Shadow lost some teeth as she got older, she ate soft food .
Cats taste by smell which they seem to lose as they age which can also affect their appetite. I got round this for quite a few years by mashing some tuna into the wet food. The vet also suggested marmite as being a smelly favourite for cats but Shadow wouldn't touch it.
I hope you can get Rosie eating well again soon, good luck at the vets.

Sending Rosie healing vibes and hugs to you. My cat Shadow lost some teeth as she got older, she ate soft food .
Cats taste by smell which they seem to lose as they age which can also affect their appetite. I got round this for quite a few years by mashing some tuna into the wet food. The vet also suggested marmite as being a smelly favourite for cats but Shadow wouldn't touch it.
I hope you can get Rosie eating well again soon, good luck at the vets.
Thanks @piggieminder :) She’s always preferred her dry food and very fussy with wet food, although has stuff she likes and that’s even being left so I know something’s up! Got 6 different cat foods here atm! :doh:Ooh that’s a great idea, she loves her naughty tinned tuna (normally saved for special occasions!), thanks might try that soon as she’s barely touched her breakfast! ☹️
Haha yep we’re all lovers of marmite here, can’t get away with a bit on toast without sharing with these two meowers! My cats seem to have a real thing for it!:drool:

Thanks so much for your help :hug:Hoping it’s easily sorted and she’s not going to be too stressed, she’s a bit of a one-woman cat and doesn’t like strange people prodding and poking! She’s an angel for me after years of meds, fear for the vets without me tbh!:box::))

14A359D2-26D3-4135-BDCE-89643313F613.jpeg
Ran to the shop for tuna and marmite. Well she looked eager, didn’t run to the kitchen like usual when I was opening it though and after 30secs she’s gone back to bed :doh:Will try mashing it in some wet food but if she’s not eating it like that it’s never good!
Will crack the marmite out next time!

Not even sure if it’s her teeth now, the more I’ve watched her since yesterday :( She seems to be taking ages to lay down in a comfortable position. Barely touched food yest but she’s thankfully had a bit of dry food today. She’s not acting sore when I’m touching her tummy etc, not growling at me or anything, just really not right. Really can’t see any difference with her teeth but they are nearly 14yrs old and I know cats are so prone to teeth probs at that age.
So really I just haven’t got a clue!:mal:
They’re not sending us away with no X-ray tomorrow, I’m not happy to leave her when she was so unhappy yesterday!
D2D32DFD-E147-49AE-A71A-E35EA0EB887E.jpeg
EE127A26-BDFF-404F-9185-89544EFBD0B3.jpeg
Thankfully looks fairly bright or I’d have to try and get to emergency vets at Leamington (no idea how!), actually just come to lay on the bed with me for first time in a few days ❤️

If I was you, I would starve her in the morning. Don’t feed her from late tonight and then at least she is okay to have xrays. It is your right to request them and unless the machine is broken I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to. My vet practice for example would do it same day so long as we aren’t fully booked and even then we would still squeeze her in if she wasn’t eating.
Hope it all goes well!

Perhaps also look into an ultrasound. Might be an idea in this situation

Thanks so much @piggieminder @Bill & Ted @Claire W, I’m a worried mess as always(!) but that never changes when it’s a mystery illness vet trip and I’m me! :)):hug:xx
If I was you, I would starve her in the morning. Don’t feed her from late tonight and then at least she is okay to have xrays. It is your right to request them and unless the machine is broken I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to. My vet practice for example would do it same day so long as we aren’t fully booked and even then we would still squeeze her in if she wasn’t eating.
Hope it all goes well!

Perhaps also look into an ultrasound. Might be an idea in this situation
Thanks @Jesse's pigs, glad someone else thinks the same, I was planning to! Not that she’s really eating anyway 🙄
But I’d rather she was dealt with on the day I take her surprisingly, not sure if the receptionist was being ‘conservative’ but I’d consider it quite important! Not just because she’s my cat!
She definitely needs a good looking at so I’ll mention an ultrasound too, thank you. :)

I’m thinking the worst, just totally out of character for her but I’ll try and stay positive, just with me and my pet’s track record it’s a bit hard to think that way obviously :mal: But thanks everyone, don’t know what I’d do without you all xx

Had Rosie Posie’s appointment at 11.15.
She’s lost weight, from 5kg on our last visit over a year ago for jabs to just over 4kg :yikes: She’s been on a diet as always been a porker but definitely not just from that, although her podgy belly’s still there!
Her temperature was a bit high (wasn’t too impressed with thermometer up there!). Teeth look great for a nearly 14yr old pussy cat so don’t think it’s that.
So vet a little worried and I’m massively!

Wouldn’t even give her overdue jabs as she said she doesn’t want to put anything into her when a bit weak atm and temp etc.
So she’s been shaved and had bloods taken, was an angel apparently bless her 😇
8E56A341-1E89-400C-BAD1-BDB3A45C626A.jpeg
With her being an oldie she’s having the full works, should take 24hrs for results and vet will ring me tomorrow.
Have a sinking feeling something very serious tbh. She’s not allowed to leave me, my beautiful little seizure cat, who’ll warn me now!
32E3EF6A-06AA-4AEA-BE58-B175711EC948.jpeg
Little shaved lady. But she was starving when we got home so had a teeny bit of food. Much to her grumpy sister’s disgust!
EC73A038-2BA3-4D08-880E-587D38B9D895.jpeg
Lots of healing vibes needed I think :eek:
And maybe a bottle of whiskey for me!
My two besties seriously ill in the space of three weeks, they don’t deserve it as both amazing girls. Wish it was me suffering and not them ☹️Xx

Sending lots of healing vibes to rosie and a big hug to you - glad she’s having the works done. She’s very lucky to be so well looked after! X

Back