• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rounded belly on Guinea

Charlotte Emily

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My female guinea is a much different shape to my male, and I'm worried maybe there is something going on in her gut? My boar is nearly 1 year and is fairly long and straight in shape and my young female seems to be ballooning in the middle. My boar is neutered so I'm fairly confident she isn't pregnant is this a sign of bloating? or could it be where she is still growing as she is only around 3 months old.
I wouldn't be able to get her to a vet for a few days because of my work schedule but I don't want to leave her if it's potentially something serious.

My female guinea is a much different shape to my male, and I'm worried maybe there is something going on in her gut? My boar is nearly 1 year and is fairly long and straight in shape and my young female seems to be ballooning in the middle. My boar is neutered so I'm fairly confident she isn't pregnant is this a sign of bloating? or could it be where she is still growing as she is only around 3 months old.
I wouldn't be able to get her to a vet for a few days because of my work schedule but I don't want to leave her if it's potentially something serious.

Hi!

How long since the two have been together and how many weeks after the operation has your boar been introduced?

If you suspect bloating, then you really need to see a vet promptly, with severe bloat (a drum tight belly that makes a hollow sound when you gently knock against it) classed as an emergency. Severe bloat can kill; it is not the kind of thing that you can leave to DIY treatment with home remedies.
Please read this guide here; it talks about bloating in a comprehensive way from symptoms, treatment and care advice for bloated guinea pigs. Any medical advice has been proof-read by an experienced long term owning exotics vet nurse.
Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

Many piggies especially girls are naturally a big round pear shape with big tummies and bottoms, if her tummy feels soft and she isnt in any discomfort when you gently touch it she is probably just a naturally chubby lady shape. If the tummy feels hard or she is in any pain or discomfort when you examine her (beyond the usual "get off me!" squirms and wheeking) or if she is having any trouble eating or pooping or seems lethargic or hunched over, that would be a reason for concern and would need an emergency vet trip for bloat. Bloat can kill, and wouldnt wait a few days, it should be treated by a vet immediately as an emergency- but your piggy would show some signs of pain or distress or hiding away and reduced eating or pooping- but a chubby tummy can be quite normal!

Many piggies especially girls are naturally a big round pear shape with big tummies and bottoms, if her tummy feels soft and she isnt in any discomfort when you gently touch it she is probably just a naturally chubby lady shape. If the tummy feels hard or she is in any pain or discomfort when you examine her (beyond the usual "get off me!" squirms and wheeking) or if she is having any trouble eating or pooping or seems lethargic or hunched over, that would be a reason for concern and would need an emergency vet trip for bloat. Bloat can kill, and wouldnt wait a few days, it should be treated by a vet immediately as an emergency- but your piggy would show some signs of pain or distress or hiding away and reduced eating or pooping- but a chubby tummy can be quite normal!

I've had a feel to see how she reacts and it really doesn't bother her. She is still eating hay like theres no tomorrow and isn't acting strange. She has definitely rounded out in the last 2 weeks or so so maybe it's just her shape, I'll definitely be keeping a close eye tonight and tomorrow morning! If I think she is eating less or not as active I will 100% make a trip to the vets

My male was neutered nearly 8 months ago so I'm 99% sure it's not babies at least haha

Okay, so development: I think shes up the duff. Felt her belly again today and I'm convinced there was movement. Pretty upset about the situation as if she is, I will need to seperate the two. He was a lone piggie for 6 months after his companion had a adverse reaction to the anaesthetic during the neutering, and we were over the moon when he bonded with her so well.

I have no clue what the vet will say, she may not be pregnant and I may be being paranoid, but if she is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do!

Okay, so development: I think shes up the duff. Felt her belly again today and I'm convinced there was movement. Pretty upset about the situation as if she is, I will need to seperate the two. He was a lone piggie for 6 months after his companion had a adverse reaction to the anaesthetic during the neutering, and we were over the moon when he bonded with her so well.

I have no clue what the vet will say, she may not be pregnant and I may be being paranoid, but if she is, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do!

How long have you had her?

If you are sure your male is neutered, there's no need to stress them with a separation if they are well bonded... are you absolutely certain your boar was neutered 8 months ago? If you are and if your girl has recently arrived unexpectedly pregnant you can leave them together, male piggies are usually good dads, just be sure to correctly sex the babies and separate any boys by 3 weeks when they become sexually mature... but it isnt really clear from the info you give here, he was neutered 8 months ago, but bonded with your girl 5/6 weeks ago, but you've had her for 2 weeks? Sorry if I'm missing something here, but what to do now depends on how certain you are that your boy is neutered!

If you are sure your male is neutered, there's no need to stress them with a separation if they are well bonded... are you absolutely certain your boar was neutered 8 months ago? If you are and if your girl has recently arrived unexpectedly pregnant you can leave them together, male piggies are usually good dads, just be sure to correctly sex the babies and separate any boys by 3 weeks when they become sexually mature... but it isnt really clear from the info you give here, he was neutered 8 months ago, but bonded with your girl 5/6 weeks ago, but you've had her for 2 weeks? Sorry if I'm missing something here, but what to do now depends on how certain you are that your boy is neutered!
Hi, sorry if it's confusing haha. Basically I work in a pet shop, and we had a pair of males arrive in last september who started fighting and getting nasty so we were advised to get them neutered. 3 days after the operation my male's companion rapidly declined and passed away. After this my male guinea pig was on his own for 6 months, while we dealt with his complications after surgery. When covid came about, we were told we were not allowed to request any animals, putting his re-bonding on hold. late May we were told we could request a female to bond him with, who arrived with us, and after a week we started the bonding process, which was much quicker than we expected and after about 3 days, they were inseparable. I then decided I needed the little ones in my life and adopted them, and brought them home 2 weeks ago. So that's what I meant, hope that helps XD

(His complications from surgery being a reaction to the stitches used)

Ok thanks that helps clarify things!
Well if you are certain that your boy was neutered months ago, and mum arrived pregnant, they can stay together throughout the pregnancy and birth, he will probably be a big comfort to mum and help show the babies what foods to eat and how to do guinea pig stuff.
Piggy males are great big softies and would never hurt any babies, if you're sure he cant get mum pregnant again straight after birth she'll be very glad to have him there to help!
Maybe you should get a vet to confirm the pregnancy, and start a new thread in our dedicated pregnancy section, so one of our pregnancy experts can see your posts and know it relates to an unexpected pregnancy and offer specific pregnancy support?

Ok thanks that helps clarify things!
Well if you are certain that your boy was neutered months ago, and mum arrived pregnant, they can stay together throughout the pregnancy and birth, he will probably be a big comfort to mum and help show the babies what foods to eat and how to do guinea pig stuff.
Piggy males are great big softies and would never hurt any babies, if you're sure he cant get mum pregnant again straight after birth she'll be very glad to have him there to help!
Maybe you should get a vet to confirm the pregnancy, and start a new thread in our dedicated pregnancy section, so one of our pregnancy experts can see your posts and know it relates to an unexpected pregnancy and offer specific pregnancy support?

Yeah first thing tomorrow I'm gonna call the vet, I'm hoping I'm just being a very paranoid first time piggy owner but I'd so much rather know for sure!

Back