• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ruffled Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I posted last night on the grumbles thread about how Terry bit me last night. Basically I got him out and I was sitting on the floor giving him a stroke and he stayed dead still sitting in my lap, I had to encourage him to move and run around my room. Once he started running around he seemed ok.. then I went to put him back in his cage, I held him in my left arm while I opened the cage with my right arm, and while I did this Terry bit me reaally hard out of the blue, it actually made me bleed alittle bit and I have a mark. I stayed over my OH's last night and came back this morning n he seemed ok, snuggled in his car bed. Then an hour later came back and he's lying/sitting huddled in the middle of his cage looking like this ...

I can't work out if maybe he's not feeling well, or if he's just cold? He just doesn't look right, but I have seen him munching on hay/pellets.

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hes doesnt feel bloated or uncomfortable around his tummy? - I found that when mine had mild bloat when I touched is belly he bit me hard.

Is he sneezing at all ? water eyes ? wheezy breathing?

I'd take him to the vets personally as if it is something they can sometimes go down hill quick if left.

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there

When a well handled, normally friendly pig bites for no good reason it is often due to pain, given that he looks quite miserable and fluffed up in your pic I would say he's feeling poorly. I would recommend a vet trip for him as soon as you can.

Suzy x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Hanwombat -

Check his tummy (and his poos), breathing, eyes, mouth, ears; feel his body whether he has any sore points he doesn't want have touched. Has he been trough some major temperature changes lately?

Please weigh him daily to keep an eye on his food intake to make sure that he really is eating normally and not losing any weight. A daily variance of 30g is normal, but you are looking for trends.

If necessary, take him to the vet. It is often difficult if you feel that something is not right, but as yet you cannot point lay your finger on it.

Laura-CCC4

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I agree, I would be alert to anything else out of the ordinary. Peeing and pooping ok? Eating normally?

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just given him a check over, seems ok, pooping and weeing fine, eating hay pellets and ate all his veg this morning,eyes mouth are fine, he put up a few noises when I was touching his belly/back end but other than that was ok..
he hasn't gone through any temp changes, been living indoors for the past two months. I just don't understand why he bit me or why he looks so sorry for himself, will probably book an appointment at the vets for a general health check. Although Terry didn't forget the fact that I always give him a treat after handling.. was up at the bars when I put him back. rolleyes

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No it seemed pretty normal, why would bloat occur? What is its cause?

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bloat can be caused by an intestinal blockage or a build up of gas. Sometimes it could be mild and other times extremely painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.