Rufus is being a real bully to Ruffles :[ Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My boars have a new cage which theyve had and shared for about a month.

Theyve lived together since August 2010 and have got on fine.

Last night at 2am, I was woken by a loud crash in my living room. I went running in and heard my boars teeth chattering. Ruffles [the younger one by 2 months] was cowering in the corner, and Rufus was at the 'house' chattering. I managed to calm them down and they were fine for the night.

However, the same things is happening this morning. Ruffles is in the corner, scratching the bedding as if he's trying to hide and he stays their frozen. Rufus will go over to him and the chattering will begin.

I cant seperate them as I have no where to put them. I also work from 8am until about 5pm. I'm terrified of leaving them incase i come and find blood or worse, one of them dead.

This has never ever happened before :[...help?

Rufus is 7 months and Ruffles is 5 months

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Mine are doing this too at the moment, i changed their cage about two weeks ago, but for now i am persevering, the trouble is i think once you split them thats it. :{

I'm thinking our problem is that even though its still a big cage its not as open as their last one, i really don't know, but i will be watching this thread for all the replies!

Hope you get sorted hon x x>>

mikulinek

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How old are Rufus and Ruffles? It may be that they've reached the hormonal stage.

Another idea... You wrote that they have a "house" - is there only one? It might be an idea to make sure they have two of everything (feeder, water bottle, house etc.) so that there's nothing to fight over.

Our two went through this. It started when they reached sort f 3 1/2 months and didnt' stop. Eventually we had to separate them. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your boys can sort out their differences and live together :)

Reaction score
I spoke to my vet friend who said it sounds like theyre reaching their sexual maturity and that I need to get them castrated :[

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Do they have a couple of sets of water bottles, houses to hide and all other necessities? Our girls had their ears shredded when we re-homed them and stopped at once as soon as they got a house, a bottle and a couple of food bowls each.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It does sound like they are reaching sexual maturity, but castrating them will have no effect whatsoever on their behaviour. The only thing you can do is get 2 of everything as mentioned before and persevere, unless blood is drawn. If that is the case, they will need to be separated :(. Good luck with them. X

Status
Not open for further replies.