• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Running Lice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kedwards

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning,

During nightly cuddles last night I noticed one of my little fellas (Earnie) had running lice on his head. They're easily identifiable thanks to all the posts and links on these forums. I assume my other piggie probably has them too (Dexter) and so will bath both of them in special treatment shampoo to get rid of lice.

I will then clean out the hutch using the disinfectant pet spray I have and change all their shavings and hay (both which are from P@H). We are very vigilent and keep a good eye on the boys but is there anything else I should be doing? I understand lice are a common occurence in guinea pigs but with our boys being 8 months old this is our first infestation.

As I say I've read all the posts and links but if there is ANYTHING else I can do to prevent this in future / help the little ones out to get rid of them, please let me know.

Kate x

The guineas will need bathing at least twice - the first bath gets rid of the lice and eggs and the second bath 7 days later gets rid of the second cycle of egg/ lice, they may need a third. Each time you bath them the hutch needs treating with Lice spray, not discinfectant - that won't kill the lice or eggs. I use Johnson's cage and hutch spray, for lice etc - spray it out, let it dry, put fresh bedding etc. back in.

Sophie
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back