• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

sad guinea :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Misty1

Hey everyone
We've had our male (unneutered) guinea pig Scruffy for 3 years. He has been with his rabbit friend Silver since day one. Sadly we lost her on Thursday night and he's on his own now :'(. Although he does seem to be coping quite well with the loss we don't want to upset him unneccessarily. Tufty, who lost his rabbit pal Patch last year, has done really well on his own and doesn't bother at all. He seems to be chuntering to Scruffy a lot and they chat to each other which is really nice :smitten: just don't like seeing him on his own as I think he's pining for her. Does anyone have any advice? Does anyone think he would go with another guinea pig at his age and knowing he hasn't been with a guinea pig since he was really small. Any advice would be appreciated :)

:) Some adult boars pair up really easily, its a suck it and see situation :) You could try the 2 together, start by putting the runs close together (or cages) and eventually introduce them, have a towel at the ready to throw over them if they lunge at each other or you'll get your fingers bitten. Some people bath them but I've never tried that so can't advise, the Barmy 4 Boars website has more ideas on how to introduce boars.

The other option is for them to live in split accomadation where they can see but not touch. If they are inside guineas then Cavy Cages
has some great ideas for this.

You could introduce younger boars but do be prepared to split them up if fighting breaks out.

Or you could have your boys castrated by a guinea pig competent vet (they will all tell you they are, for the most part so get one that is rescue recommended or from on here) and they could live with a girl. Don't have them castrated so they can live together- there's no guarantee that it will happen :)

Or get them a spayed sow each.
:)

Rabbits and guinea pigs should not be kept together, both species need company of their own kind. :)

Hi Misty, Maybe Scruffy & Tufty would get on enough to live together?

As Karen says, some adult boars can be paired up with no problems. I know this myself from experience as one of my piggies died in April :'( so I went to a rescue & paired my Murran up with another adult boar & it worked out well straight away. :) It is all down to the personality of the pigs but it can be done.

I'm sorry to hear about Silver & Patch. :'( At one time it was thought that guinea pigs & rabbits were fine to house together but now it's not the case because the rabbits can badly hurt or kill the piggie with their back legs. Also when housed with their own species they can communicate together which is good for them.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do O0

Thanks for the advise. We may give that a go but I don't want them hurting each other :(

To be honest we've had 3 rabbit/guinea pig pairs and never had a problem. They love each other and hate being separated. We currently have one rabbit/guinea pig pair now and the both of them pine when we have to take one away (to vets or even outside for about 5 seconds!). I don't know where people get the idea that rabbits and guinea pigs can't go together. We've never had a problem :S Do prefer to have rabbit/rabbit and guinea pig/guinea pig pairs but we do have rabbit/guinea pig pairs because we've never had such a problem. I'm sure it does occur but it hasn't done for us so far. Maybe its the cage size? I don't know. We have really large cages but even then they tend to snuggle up to each other and get on just fine. We've always had rabbits and guinea pigs which are roughly the same size as well so maybe this is the cause. Who knows?

Anyway we will have a think about Tufty and Scruffy and see what happens. I don't want to hurt Scruffy any more than he's hurting already :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back