Sadness has hit our community

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

snugglypig

just feeling down

We have had a huge rescue, air, sea and land takening place just down from our house, on our local beach and the surronding coastline.

A English man who has been here for several months playing the piano at a local hotel. Went into the sea for a swim on sunday and he never returned.

The diver's have been called in today and will resume searching tomorrow but to date he hasn't been found

It really shakes you when something like this happens, but you also find great community spirit as everyone pulls together there was over 400 people out searching Sunday night, yesterday and today, local fisherman using their boats and the rest of us on foot.

I just hope his body can be found so that his family get some kind of closure

karen

bevs

Reaction score
That's terrible Karen, great though that the community pulled together, in London you can live next door to someone for years and not know their name :-\

Keep us informed. x x

michellemuffin

Reaction score
hi Karen I know exactly how you feel I live on the Isle of wight and only last week a boy an Islander was swept into the sea but luckly 2 brave people saved him ,then about 3 weeks ago 3 men drowned when their boat the Ouzo was hit myseriously going down in seconds the 3 bodies were found but no sign of the boat, its suspected a big ship like a cruise or passenger ship or even a container ship hit them with not even noticing a bump fully unaware of it, but we are always getting people going over cliffs and being swept out to sea etc, where abouts do you live? any news yet?

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That is so sad, Karen. A terrible experience for everyone.

I grew up in Cornwall; things like that sometimes happened there too.

P

princessguinea

aw, hope all turns out well and you find out soon what has gone wrong. xoxoxoox

S

snugglypig

They have said that there is no chance of finding him alive now, Search still in progress and now the Navy divers have been in, to help the coastguard divers.

The helicopter was scambled again today but no sign.

They may have to wait till 7 days and by then the body will start to fill with gas and hopefully he will surface.

we also have had many other sea tragedies here off of Ireland but this is my first, so local to where we live.

Our community our wonderful people, as we found out a year after we moved here, our house caught fire and a 3rd of it was gutted, most of the village arrived with buckets and fire extinguisher's as soon as smoke was spotted, that night we were offered a house to use and by the evening bags of clothes and bedding arrived for us.
we had no insurance and with out us knowing they raised about 25,000 to put our house right, most at that point didn't know us by name. I no that wouldn't of happened when we lived in England

I will keep you posted on any news

thanks Karen

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That is very sad. I am so sorry. You must all be shocked.

It does sound like your village is very nice. No-one gives a sod about anyone else in Bath.

S

stargate

Our son lives in Ireland and you're right Karen the people are very different over there compared to England. We visit quite often and have always found the locals to be friendly, social, polite, cheerful and you very rarely see an unhappy face. We always feel like we stepped back in time to when people actually liked people and not things. Though the price of some food stuffs is terrible. What abouts do you live, my son lives in County Tipperary.

S

snugglypig

stargate said:
Our son lives in Ireland and you're right Karen the people are very different over there compared to England. We visit quite often and have always found the locals to be friendly, social, polite, cheerful and you very rarely see an unhappy face. We always feel like we stepped back in time to when people actually liked people and not things. Though the price of some food stuffs is terrible. What abouts do you live, my son lives in County Tipperary.
I live in Connemara, in County Galway.
What you said is so true about the people and the places some are like stepping back into history
we have been here 6 years now and I am just starting to understand the old folk. As their accents are very strong and a lot still speak Gailage.
Yes it is very expensive here especially animal products

kare

Status
Not open for further replies.