• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Same hay big difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Last week the piggies needed hay and was in asda so decided to buy a small bag of the bob martin hay to try as my friends said their bunnies loved it. Brought is home and the pigs could not get enough of it and were eating every last drop.

So this weekend I decided to buy the bigger bag of hay the 3.5kg bag. But when I got it home the boys turned their noses up at it and wouldn't eat it. They do get timothy hay as well so they were still eating that. This bag of hay does feel different and it doesn't smell very nice kind of musty. The boys are eating it but I think only when they are hungry and have nothing else as they do eat it when its in their hay rack, one of them seems more reluctant than the other.

My question is....do I continue to give them this hay which would probably last about 3 weeks or go back to the shop and get the smaller bags?

Mine were a bit like that, I used to buy smaller bags once or twice a week at £2.50 from wilkos but then went to the local equestrian centre and bought a huge bale for a £5 which would last at least a month.
They all turned their noses up at it at first but when they realised that was it they soon got used to it and recently I bought a smaller bag at £1.50 from a local shop they didn't like that either.
maybe it's just a case of getting used to something just like we are with tea or coffee, if you're used to one particular brand and then have to have another you're a bit urrgh.

I have used this only if I cant get to the pet shop and I only buy it if it is green although I have found the smaller bags tend to be nicer than the large ones.

I bought the 5 bags of dust free hay from Animal Magic Pet Supplies. The bags are really big, I think there is more than 2kg in each bag. Its a mix of Timothy Hay and Meadow Hay and it's great value at only £15.

I feed a variety of different hays as well as a permanent supply of horse hay to prevent my piggies getting bored.

If the hay smells musty it could be off, hay goes off if stored incorrectly/in a plastic container for too long (it 'sweats' and goes mouldy)

I am quite fussy about hay, anything that makes up such a big part of their diet I don't like to mess with. if you think it smells musty and could be mouldy, take it back, just as you would if you bought a yoghurt for yourself and when you took the lid of you found green fur.

we used that hay from asda and found it v dusty, one of ours died suddenly after coughing just after we used it the first time :( probbly coincidence but i wouldn't buy it again, even tho now it does say dust extracted.

Last week the piggies needed hay and was in asda so decided to buy a small bag of the bob martin hay to try as my friends said their bunnies loved it. Brought is home and the pigs could not get enough of it and were eating every last drop.

So this weekend I decided to buy the bigger bag of hay the 3.5kg bag. But when I got it home the boys turned their noses up at it and wouldn't eat it. They do get timothy hay as well so they were still eating that. This bag of hay does feel different and it doesn't smell very nice kind of musty. The boys are eating it but I think only when they are hungry and have nothing else as they do eat it when its in their hay rack, one of them seems more reluctant than the other.

My question is....do I continue to give them this hay which would probably last about 3 weeks or go back to the shop and get the smaller bags?

I would send a letter of complaint to Bob Martin personally. If the hay is bad it could put the piggies off eating any hay for a while which would be really detrimental to them.

I buy the same hay as sandra turpin does, my piggies (and bunnies) love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back