• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab or dry spot on piggy's back? Or maybe fungal infection?

PiggyMamma1117

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!

I noticed a little bump underneath my piggy's fur when petting him (pictures included below). IMG_6763.JPGIMG_6764.JPGIMG_6765.JPGIMG_6766.JPGI had to dig around a bit, but when I did I found a weird spot on his skin. It almost looks as if a tiny piece of a wig was glued to a bald spot on him...

He has been at the vet's office recently, so perhaps he contracted something there. He got neutered and was put on metacam (pain med) and TMS (antibiotic) because the vet thought there was an infection starting in his scrotal area. A week later he wasn't eating or pooping well so I brought him in again. He had lost weight, but the vet wasn't sure what exactly was wrong because all else seemed fine, including the surgical site and where the infection had been. He thought maybe it was an odd side effect of the antibiotic and had me wait it out a few more days and then bring him back to see if after stopping those he got better. His weight was up and he seems to have his normal appetite back. Right after getting home from that appointment today, I noticed the spot.

Should I bring him back in? Or just wait to see if it starts to go away on its own? Any advice is appreciated!

It looks like classic mites to me.
Nothing serious, but very itchy and painful for your piggy so please take him along to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.
In the meantime don't be tempted to use pet store products or home remedies, as these are rearely strong enough to fix the problem and just mask symptoms making diagnosis more difficult for your vet.

Hello!

I noticed a little bump underneath my piggy's fur when petting him (pictures included below). View attachment 116107View attachment 116108View attachment 116109View attachment 116110I had to dig around a bit, but when I did I found a weird spot on his skin. It almost looks as if a tiny piece of a wig was glued to a bald spot on him...

He has been at the vet's office recently, so perhaps he contracted something there. He got neutered and was put on metacam (pain med) and TMS (antibiotic) because the vet thought there was an infection starting in his scrotal area. A week later he wasn't eating or pooping well so I brought him in again. He had lost weight, but the vet wasn't sure what exactly was wrong because all else seemed fine, including the surgical site and where the infection had been. He thought maybe it was an odd side effect of the antibiotic and had me wait it out a few more days and then bring him back to see if after stopping those he got better. His weight was up and he seems to have his normal appetite back. Right after getting home from that appointment today, I noticed the spot.

Should I bring him back in? Or just wait to see if it starts to go away on its own? Any advice is appreciated!

Hi!

It is impossible to tell at this stage, whether it is just a little scab or whether it will grow into a fungal infection or mange mites.

Please keep an eye on the spot for the time being. If there is a bald area developing around the spot that is getting larger quickly in the next couple of days, then please see a vet for a diagnosis. As a very observant owner, you tend to notice things very early when it is very difficult to say what they might be.

Thank you very much everyone! I called the vet’s office, and they told me I can send the pictures over email and they’ll tell me if they think I should bring him in or not. In the meantime I’m just keeping an eye on it. I appreciate all the responses!

Back