• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

SCAB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ss4ya

Hey all

We have just noticed this on fudge's back, they are not fighting so its not that,

does anyone know what it is and what we should do with it

PICT0004.jpg

Any help will be great, thanks

Stu

It could be mites.

My freddie's mite was like that.

Put your piggy to the vets and let them have a look

Hiya

Beni had these when we first got him. His were bite marks and they looked like that.

We took him to the vets and the vet gave us some baytril to give to Beni if the bite wounds got infected, thank goodness they didn't, i got some soothe gel from Gorgeous Guineas and this worked great as they were really sore.

As Michele said it could be mites so i would take Fudge to the vets to be on the safe side.

I hope it clears up soon

Looks like a sore caused by sratching and biting at itchy skin. Can you check him over for lice? There are loads about at the moment with the change of weather etc. I'd get your hands on some Lice shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas and bath all your pigs as the first step. Treat the sore with some aloe vera gel and it should heal really quickly.

Like the othes said it seems like it was caused by a mite. Jin got a few scabs like that when he was biting and scratching.

its right in the middle of his back so i cant see how he has been scatching there. he also had a bit behind his ear.. i personally thought that it looked as if it had been "eaten away" or something.. there is like white bits around it i dont know whether he just has like bad skin or something..

i'm not entirely sure what mites look like.

they did have lice when we got them from the pet shop and we gave them a course of bathing to get rid of them and that seemed to do the trick.

Jin had similar with white bit round it. Sounds like he's had an attack of mites - sometimes you can't tell they are that small. Bathing him and putting some cream on should sort it.

purplegem1985 said:
its right in the middle of his back so i cant see how he has been scatching there. he also had a bit behind his ear.. i personally thought that it looked as if it had been "eaten away" or something.. there is like white bits around it i dont know whether he just has like bad skin or something..

i'm not entirely sure what mites look like.

they did have lice when we got them from the pet shop and we gave them a course of bathing to get rid of them and that seemed to do the trick.

Freddies was int he middle of her back too when she had mites.

In the middle of the back is typical for bite/scratch wounds after lice or mites.

You can't really see mites - they live under the skin but you may notice some black scurf on the skin.

There are loads of mites and lice about at the moment because of the change of weather.

Please start treatment with Gorgeous Guineas or a trip to the vet asap as it will only get worse on its own.

gemma has gone to the vet with him this morning, she is waiting in line and has been wee'd on twice.

we are hoping that we just get some cream that we cna put on fudge's back to make it all better.

should know more soon.

yeah, mummy looks after them, i am at college, so i cant do anything.

just hope that he is ok,

we have only just cleaned their hutches as well, so would we have to do them again? we always disenfect the hutch. Barney doesnt seem to have anything and its just them two in the hutch

Would be best to clean out and dettol the hutch again if you can to optimise the chances of getting rid of the nasties straight away.

well, i dont get home tonight till about half 8 - 9 so I'm sure gem will do something

just had a phone call, they gave him an injection and he has to go back in a week for another one. not too expensive either which was really good. The vet said that it might be mites.

Gemma was at home getting changed out of her wee covered top.

apparently everyone in the vet was saying how cute he was as he was sat on gemma's chest as all our piggies do, must be the boobs that do it for them.

and he squeeled when the vet injected him.

poor little fudge

aww poor love. Jin was the only piggy who wasn't bothered by injections! He took it like a strong man! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back