• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scaly red spot on guinea pigs foot

Retenish

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was holding my guinea pig Pippa when I noticed a strange spot on her foot and after further checking it turned out to a weirdly circular scaly spot on her back leg on the outside of it. She has towel bedding as a vet recommended it after she turned out to be allergic to the Katee comfort bedding and in waiting on a package to give her and her sister fleece bedding instead. I'm just worried she hurt herself or wondering if there's someone who knows what this is and what I should do.

Here's a picture of whats on her foot:

I’m afraid we can’t see the area of the foot or the foot properly on your picture

Your photo isn’t very clear. In any case you’re better off taking her to the vet for a check. Also upload the photo here as your link doesn’t work.

Your photo isn’t very clear. In any case you’re better off taking her to the vet for a check. Also upload the photo here as your link doesn’t work.
Heres hopefully a better picture

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_184109100~2.jpg
    PXL_20201031_184109100~2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 12
It looks like a little bald spot?
has she been scratching/chewing at the area?
all we can really suggest is that yo pub have a vet check her over.

It looks like a little bald spot?
has she been scratching/chewing at the area?
all we can really suggest is that yo pub have a vet check her over.
She hasn't in that area no she currently has a spot of ringworm on her nose and hopefully that's the plan as soon as I'm paid as her sister cleaned out what was left of my emergency fund after she hurt herself being an acrobat on her tunnel and needed an emergency visit

Please take her to the vet as soon as possible. Can you have someone pay the fee and pay them back? You shouldn’t leave ringworm untreated. It’s also contagious so you need to be extremely hygienic.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Please take her to the vet as soon as possible. Can you have someone pay the fee and pay them back? You shouldn’t leave ringworm untreated. It’s also contagious so you need to be extremely hygienic.
Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
She's already been seen for ringworm and has medicine for it. The last month has seen her go to the vet for ringworm along with her sister and an eye issue for her afterwards. Both came home with her from the store. Then her sister going for her acrobatics stunt. Her sister and her are both undergoing treatment as it started with her sister but after seperating them she refused to eat or even look at food untill they were back together

She's already been seen for ringworm and has medicine for it. The last month has seen her go to the vet for ringworm along with her sister and an eye issue for her afterwards. Both came home with her from the store. Then her sister going for her acrobatics stunt. Her sister and her are both undergoing treatment as it started with her sister but after seperating them she refused to eat or even look at food untill they were back together

Hi and welcome

Can you please tell us what you have been given for the ringworm. Just cream because the spores have clearly spread? It takes about 10-14 days between infection and a new outbreak. Your piggy has clearly been sitting on a shed spore considering where the new site is located.

Please take the time to carefully read, re-read and follow our very detailed ringworm hygiene guide. It is the only way you will have a chance to get past it. Invisible ringworm spores are shed in their thousands in an acute outbreak. They are highly contagious (Including to humans and other pets) and are very long lived. The only way to prevent re-infection is by following the hygiene tips in the guide. In nearly 15 years of existence and seeing loads of ringworm in new pet shop piggies on here, we have had the time to work out all possible transmission angles and also what treatment works and what not.
Please be aware that any active outbreak has to run its due course and will get worse before it gets better; you can find pictures of how an outbreak runs at the end of the guide.
Here is the guide: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Here is information on your customer rights re. the shop you have got your piggies from as you have in effect been sold damaged ware.
New guinea pigs: Sexing, vet checks&customer rights, URI, ringworm and parasites

Back