• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scarby's abscess came back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
When I left for work on Thursday morning his tummy was flat. By evening the abscess had come back! I started him on 0.25 baytril that night and again this morning. We went to the vet. Roger is on hols so we saw his partner Anna, who is really nice too. She kept Scarby in for the morning to open it up (under local) and flush it through.

She said the pus wasn't too sticky and that the abscess' walls were not the kind of membrane that actually increases the production of pus (some abscesses have cell walls that do this she said). She also said it was quite small, and that she had seen many worse get better withour surgery, and there was no need for a GA at all - excellent news!

Scarby has been prescribed different antibiotics - tablets to dissolve in Ribena - and new probiotics. He has had all of today's meds now. Anna has asked to see Scarby tomorrow morning in clinic, and she will show me how to flush it out at home.

Reaction score
I've had to flush out many an abcess and its quite easy once you know how to do it, you also get great satisfaction seeing it come out knowing that you've helped them, good luck with it hope it goes well

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm glad that Scarby is taking it all in his stride Lucinda!

I'll be thinking of you both.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
we saw Anna again this morning.There was no more pus ;D
She flushed it out, then gave me some antibiotic gel to pack it with over the weekend, then we go back next week.
Scarby eating very well and happy!

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We saw Anna again today (Monday) before work.
She is really pleased and said there is pink healthy tissue growing where it was dead and grey inside.

Well done Scarby darling XX

M

Michele

So pleased Scarby is on the road to recovery.

You have had a pretty bad year. Have thought about taking shares out at your Vets ;D ;D :D

D

DebbieR

Hi Lucinda,
I haven't been able to post for the last couple of days. Is Scarby ok now? Those blooming abcesses just won't go away will they? They're evil things.
My Willow cat has been battling with one on his head for months now. He's going to have to have it cut open and investigated now like Scarby had. I'm so glad Scarby's is getting better.
xx

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Debbie. Scarby is doing very well. We go back to the vet on Friday or Saturday and we will review whether Scarby needs any more antibiotics. Anna,(Roger's partner - another super vet, fortunately) says there is healthy pink skin in there now, and Scarby has discharged the little lump of "hernia" fatty tissue. So it is all very positive.

Poor Willow cat. He must be feeling really run down. Give him a kiss from me xx

D

DebbieR

Ahh good luck with the vet. Hopefully, this will be the end of the abcess and you can relax a bit. Although I don't think you ever completely relax once an abcess has blighted your life.

I will give Willow a kiss, he'll like that, but not on his head cos it's yuccy :o :)

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Scarby saw Anna at tonight's evening clinic. She is delighted. There is no more pus!
Scarby will carry on with antibiotics and probiotics until Thursday , then we go back again, probably to be discharged! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.