• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sebaceous gunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ewwwwww - my vet lanced a sebaceous cyst that Bree has on her back and loads of gunk came out. The vet said he once did that to an animal without warning the owner what would happen and the owner fainted! Trouble is both Bree and Bailey have these cysts and I need to squeeze them from time to time to get the stuff out - yuk!

Alex :o

ah, nothing to it! Had to do this many times.

Just remember, you're helping the little darlings.

I did muffins one the other night once you get use to it it really does'nt bother you, once a while ago squeak had an abcess removed but it closed again and needed syringing out my hubby took her in with my son being nosy I heard the noise from inside the room lol I knew what was coming but they did'nt, they came out looking white and Josh said never ever again will he eat a cream egg and he has'nt, thought I'd let them see what I do all the time for my babys lol

Lucinda said:
ah, nothing to it! Had to do this many times.

Just remember, you're helping the little darlings.
When you do this is there a nack to it? or is it just like squeezing a spot?...when a vet or rodentologist lance them are they given a local anesthetic? sorry about all the questions just never seen it done. I have only once had to squeeze out one that had already been lanced at the CCT so it was not tough - just needed a little pressure to reopen it. Curious.

you need to wait for the right time i wait until if you just lghtly squeeze a little gunk comes out, then you get a tissue wrap it over the lump and gently squeeze both sides of the cyst I tend to move around the lump getting all sides covered, make it gentle and continous, the gunk comes out quite easily then clean it with hibiscrub or similar type of animal disenfectant and make sure you wash your hands well. if the pig has long hiar i tend to snip some of it off as the gunk is like glue and hard to remove from hair which is why I use a tissue,

Agree with Michelle. I move round the lump, like she describes. You sort of push gently rarther than squeeze. The pus usually flows quite easily if it is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back